1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

taxes/insurance question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinggrassiscool, Jan 4, 2006.

1. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

heres my situation. i started mowing lawns one i was fifteen and haven't stopped. i would like to know if their is some way to legally operate, having insurance, without having to form an llc or something similar and pay all business taxes. i am currently in college and while i enjoy the work i am not sure i will continue after college. i was wondering if i could just register my company name and then pay taxes as extra personal income. would this allow me to be insured, or am i better of forming an llc? thanks guys
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

register you company name as a sole propriotorship, DBA... you will loose some tax advantages, but lots start out ther company that way...
  3. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

im gonna assume that this will not allow me to have anyone helping me period, is their anyway that this can be easily remidied? i dont wont employies per say but having an occasional helper at least would be great. thanks
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to a professional about taxes and payroll taxes.

If you have in your mind having part time help more then a day or two a month,I would get a FEIN number,state tax number etc.Payroll taxes,workers comp etc, are a very serious consideration.