Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mjohnson1, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

just wondering how much taxes are in some other states, here in tennessee i have to pay 30% income tax, plus personal property tax, and a "self-employed persons" tax. i have a friend that does landscaping and he tried to get me to not get my license, saying you have to pay a bunch of extra taxes, but he said he still pays taxes on his income just not as much i guess he couldnt really give me a straight answer. anyone heard of people doing this or how they do?
  2. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

you should take your political statements off this site. THis is not the forum for that.
  3. mjohnson1

tell 6'7" 330 to remove his picture that says f*ck micheal moore- GO BUSH and when he does my sig. will be gone too. i like micheal moore's movies, but don't take them as scripture, and i think george bush is an idiot, but i could care less who has some political picture or message on their posts. what about freddy_kruger's anti religion quote from bertrand russell? have you taken the time to read it? in case you havent "[religion is] a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race." pretty much sums it up. until you go attack everyone with a veiw you dont agree with or a message that offends you, leave me alone.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Need to get a tax accountant, and don't tell them you political affiliation.
  5. mjohnson1

i obviously dont need a tax accountant i have a license and pay taxes now. i asked what it is like in other states.:hammerhead:
  6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't need a tax accountant then you obviously should know what you are talking about. Stating that you have a license and pay taxes yet asking about your friends ability to somehow avoid paying some taxes makes one wonder about your understanding of the situation. Why ask about other state taxation when you are living in your state? of confusion???

I don't have any state taxes to pay. Only income tax and SE tax as a sole proprietor. My wife is an accountant and handles all finances. I just get to spend it.
  7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

There are those who earn The American Dream and there are those that steal it...which are you. Taxes are what makes this country the single most affluent country in the world. We all hate them, but we love the results. And if you don't, then there's always Mexico!:usflag:
  8. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Some could argue that it is not the presence of taxes but lack there of as compared to other countries. I think there are many great things about this country but non of which have anything to do about taxes. Just look at Europe and see where pro tax policy will take us.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My comment was based on the AMOUNT of taxes you indicated you were paying...... There are certainly opportunities to reduce the amounts!
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

if you are a smll company dont pay taxes.. stay off the books till its your career