Taxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ELANDSCRAPER, Apr 4, 2004.

1. ELANDSCRAPER

ELANDSCRAPER LawnSite Member

ALSO HAD ANOTHER QUESTION.I TAX ALL MY LAWNS,CAN I DO THAT, IT IS A SERVICE.I ALSO CHARGE A FUEL SUR-CHARGE TO ALL MY LAWN CUSTOMERS, DO I INCLUDE THAT IN MY PROFITS OR DOES IT GET DEDUCTED FROM FUEL AND MILAGE?

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Without a doubt, you need to hire a bookkeeper or an accountant - just because of the questions you're asking.
    I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but you seem to have no idea what to do, and to ask for that kind of help here will probally get you into trouble than you can imagine - the laws vary from state to state and even within the state. If you hire someone to help you get your act together for the first year you may be able to handle it from then on.

3. missytheaccountant

missytheaccountant LawnSite Member
    from Bama

Sales tax varies from state to state. I would suggest checking with your department of revenue or going to their website. As far as the fuel surcharge....it's a matter of presentation on your books. What I would suggest is just reporting it as income with your mowing charges. When you get a 1099 from your customers it will include that amount (if you get a 1099 that is) and you need your income to match what the customer reports.

4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Do it simple with the gas. Just add the cost of gas to your overhead and charge accordingly. Then write the gas off as an expense. In my state any labor that is done is not charged sales tax. So even when you go and get an oil change there is no sales tax charge since you are paying for labor. So for labor I do not charge sales tax. You only have to charge sales tax if you are selling a product. IE bark, plants, edging, etc.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi ELANDSCRAPER,

Here is a site that you might find helpful.

Click image for link. [​IMG]