taxi service for employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mower BILL, Jul 25, 2002.

1. mower BILL

mower BILL LawnSite Member
    from florida

how many lawn care companies, pick up their employees in the morning and bring them home in the afternoon. .just curious. :blob4:
  2. I've picked up and dropped off day workers at their labor office to make sure I had help when needed.
    It would get old on a daily basis, but if thats what you got to do to make it work
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Lst year I used to drive 25 minutes each morning to pick up my guys and another 25 minutes in the evening to take them home. This used to waste about 2 hours of time a day but at the time I had no choice if I wanted good help. This years my guys drive to work:)
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a few med-large LCO's around here have a foreman p/u laborers at train station and bring to shop then drop back off at day's end. Sometimes ya gotta do whatya gotta do. I am trying to avoid this at all costs. I have 2 guys that car pool and naturally if the driver is sick, the other laborer most times can't get in on time or at all. I have 1 bike in, 1 walk in and the others drive themselves in. Always run ad for experienced laborers w/ valid lic and transportation.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not me, I dont pick her up. I make her walk to the truck.:D
  6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I used to pick up some of our guys. Like it was said earlier, it was killing my personal time. A couple hours a day. Now, if they can't get to our warehouse, they don't work. I know that I could find a way to work, they can too. Good luck.
  7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I pick up my one helper on the way to our jobs, but he does not start getting paind till we get to our first job and he stops getting paid when we are finished with our last job. He does not get paid for drive time to and from his house.
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Bryan for the most part. It depends on what stage of your business you are in. As someone else said, sometimes...

Ya do what Ya Gotta Do....
  9. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

My shop is on a major highway and my house is about 25 miles south and 1/4 mile off the hwy so if you live between my house and the shop I'll pick you up if your standing on the side of the road (just like the bus), if you can't do that get to the shop anyway you have to, but don't be late too many lates and you go home without pay, too many times sent home you go home for good.
    I used to go a few blocks off the hwy but the guys were not ready so I waited, then I got tired of that and if they didn't come out within 2 min. I would leave ( I wouldn't blow the horn , it's rude at 6:45 am) but that got old so now I don't see ya on the side of the road sorry get yourself to work or quit.