Taxus yews browning on top

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ohiolawnguy, May 30, 2002.

1. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

This spring, i have noticed quite a few(a lot actually) Taxus Yews which have some areas of brown/dead on the tops of the yews. this is not the case along the sides, only on the tops. just below the brown/dead tip new spring growth is coming in.

Other than that, they seem to be growing fine. Is this a result of some windburn during the winter? Once they are trimmed, I think they will be fine. Am i correct, or is some type of treatment necessary?

BtW, we don't fertilize shrubs, but we do treat them for insect problems

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

ohiolawnguy,
    I had a customer ask me why her yews were brown on top today. I think it may be frost/freeze damage. I'm about 15 miles south of Youngstown Ohio. Last week we had temps. below freezing and frost 3 or 4 mornings. I think the frost/freeze is the cause, what do you think???? :) ;) :) ED

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Is it last years growth that is brown? Or this years growth?

A pretreleum based lubricant on sheers will cause tip die back. Use Pam cooking spray.

If you pruned late in the season last year and got a flush of growth that did not harden off before a frost last fall - this might have caused it as well.

Just a couple of ideas without seeing the actual plants and site.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

yes its this years growth, its from the frost we had, the new growth hasn't hardened off so when the frost came it died off. they should be fine.

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

it appears to be this years growth.

One set of yews in question im certain that i trimmed in early october. most of the second round of bushtrimming was done in september/october.

Thanks for the tip about the pam cooking spray LawnLad. we use no type of spray lubricant on the trimmers. But, they are lubed through the grease fitting with regular grease.(petroleum based)

what leads me to believe that it is some sort of weather involved problem is that ive noticed them at hoes which we do not maintain. also at homes which no LCO maintains, IE-homeowner maintained