1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Taylor Pittsburg Backhoe Attachment

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Seon, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Seon

Seon LawnSite Member

Anyone have or know anything about this 3 pt hitch brand? There's one on ebay for $3750 plus $690 delivery to CA. That's still cheaper than $6500, what the locals are charging. John Deere dealer is asking $8500 but it has a subframe. I'm retired and I'll be using it for just around my property..not commerical like you guys :) . BTW it'll be for my JD 4210 30 hp compact tractor.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7603880063&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:PIC
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would not under any reason not buy a factory hoe with out the sub frame. These little compact tractors can easly be snapped in half using a back hoe. The three point hoes put to much stress on the rear housing. Which is a $$$$$$$$$ fix when you break them. Digging stumps is the hardest job on a hoe, and everyone loves to try to dig stumps with theses little hoes.

Spend the money and get the John Deere hoe. :)
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Seon, I don't know and didn't look at the backhoe you are looking to put on your tractor. What I do know is this. A sub frame is a mighty fine thing to have on the tractor. I have seen twisted tractor frames at the Kubota dealer. I have a woods 9000 hoe for my tractor with a sub frame, and am glad I do.....I am sure I would have trashed my little Kubota 4330 without it.
  4. Seon

Seon LawnSite Member

Thanks for both replies. I'm looking for feedback on this Taylor Pittsburg backhoe attachment? As I understand it, this attachment is built in Italy for Taylor who's been in farming equipment since the 40's. But I can't find a web site nor any local dealers who sells this brand.
    For the price difference I'd be saving, I can fabricate a subframe for far less than what JD is charging ;).
  5. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I have a Taylor Pittsburg tiller, it has been through hell and has not missed a lick. I am very satisfied with their equipment. Hope that might help you.
  6. tblyskal

tblyskal LawnSite Member

I have the exact one your looking at. It is sub-frame mounted to a Kubota 3000DT. Drove all the way to Ohio from New Jersey to pick it up. It is a well built machine, and it is made in Italy. I HIGHLY recommend you to frame mount it. Being a Mechanical Engineer, the three point hitch mount is only suitable if your going to be digging in soft soil. If you plan on digging out stumps or digging in rocky soil, that thing will whip you tractor around. For the price it is an excellent piece of equipment. I have dug out a few stump with it, though takes a while, it does the job. You can dig out a 1ft diameter stump in about 30-45 min. A 3ft diameter stump took me the better part of an afternoon, several sharpening of a chainsaw, and a bit of hand digging. A couple things that can be improved: The valves are not the highest quality. I find myself curling the bucket up every hour or so because it droops down. The hoses will need more anti-chafing sleeves all over the place. They use cheap fishnet type material that wears through in no time. One more thing is that you have to be very careful when retracting the stabilizers when digging in rocky soil and you get some rocks in those arms. The hose connections are facing downwards and any rock in there will tear that connection off when lifting the arm, I know, it has already happened to me once. I'll give it a 8.5 out of 10. For around the house, residential type work, you cant beat it.
  7. LandersLawncare

LandersLawncare LawnSite Member

i work at taylor pittsburgh and these backhoes are very good piece of equipment
  8. bdeboer

bdeboer LawnSite Member

9. Raff

Raff LawnSite Member

I have a 34 hp New Holland tractor and have had lots of trouble trying to mount it on with the 3 pt attachment that came with it. How do you frame mount it?
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest