1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tbars with Sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Feb 25, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious to know if there is anyone in here who has used or is using a t-bar with a sulky. If so - would be interested to know what brand you are using and what your comments are.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a t-bar with a 1 wheel velke and i like it fine, works very well for me, if i had it to do over again I think i would of got the 2 wheel velke , its seems that it has a lil bit more room to position your feet on it
  3. Gabriel Turf

Gabriel Turf LawnSite Member

I used to use a Toro walk-behind with a two wheeled velke and it did fine as the above post said. It beat walking but it may not be a good idea if you have any kind of issues with your lower back. When using a velke your upper body pivots as the mower turns and then your lower body pivots as you follow through the turn. So, there is a lot of twisting in your mid-section.

I actually thought that the one wheeled velke may have been the better choice because you can imagine with two wheels when one wheel encounters resistance the other keeps going smooth, so there is more of a "jerking" action(which is slight but constant) with two wheels that you would not encounter with a one wheeled velke. Also, it is another tire to go flat, which happened much more often than with my mowers tires.

Now that I have a ZTR I rarely use the velke but it was a big improvement over walking when I only had a walk behind.

I should mention too that when you first start using a velke if feels very painfully unnatural but that wears off after about a week of use. I know there are people on here who use bull-riders and pro-slides so you may want to check into those units also.
  4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I use a Jungle Jim's with my T-bar and love them both.
  5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a t bar w/sulky, works great I am 6'1" and I find it puts a strain on my back from bending over.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

Tbarchaser- I am 6 foot 1 inch also, when i first got my toro i tried to use the velke from my scag, it has an 18 '' arm and made me bend to use the tbar. I found out that the 15'' arm brings you closer to the machine and i can stand upright now, which arm does your sulky have i wonder?
  7. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

You guys have any ideas where I can get a good buy on one - if there is such a thing as a "good buy"???? Any links, phone #, etc, sure would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

I have had good sucess and am pleased with this company there are more out there maybe some one will post another they had good luck with
  9. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I been using my t-bar hydro toros for over 6 years now.No problems.I love this steering system.
  10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I know someone, PM me.