TBC-250SF finally ordered it but qestions

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by ucfjoe, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ucfjoe

ucfjoe LawnSite Member
    from ORLANDO

So after a long debate between which multi-task tool to get I finally decided on Tanaka. It should be here by monday, but boy do i need it now. The only problem i am having is local dealer support even the dealers listed on the Tanaka site in my area either don't stock any tanaka or VERY limited supply. For example the largest dealer in my area TrailSaw only had one Tanaka auger on the floor and after talking to the rep found out that they had zero motivation to sell tanaka and I knew more about their product than I did ( which isn't much). Luckily however this wasn't much of a factor for me since I consider myself fairly compitent in small engine repair/manintence. Looks like i'll be on here for all of my questions.

Here's the first batch of questions.

I need a blade conversion kit, do i want kit #748504 even though it doesn't list the 250sf as a compatible trimmer?

Is there one good site that anyone likes to order Tanaka parts from that has good prices, fast shipping, maybe even a smart staff.

Here is a shiggles question what would it take to become a tanaka dealer? I actually like their products and already have my own company so just what does it take?

thanks for your help guys

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Why would they stock more than one auger? Tanaka only has 1 model currently available. And unless they sell alot of them...no reason to have a bunch.

As for a blade...the split shaft equipment is not to be used with blades...at least I dont think they are supposed to be. Thier attachments I think use a speedo cable type shaft...not solid steel the full length like the non split shaft models have.

3. ucfjoe

ucfjoe LawnSite Member
    from ORLANDO

no its a steel shaft on trimmer and all other attachments except for the edger from what i understand. if you go to the tanaka website it lists a blade as one of the optional accessories, but when you click on that accessory it doesn't list the 250sf as a compatible trimer

the reason i commented on my dealer is they have a huge showroom and most of their sales comes from chainsaws, trimmers, mowers and blowers. they have plenty of room and carry nearly every available stihl. according to the salesman they have never carried any tanaka in stock minus the auger. they guy pushed the stihl or nothing sales pitch, now i live stihl i have seven of their saws but the vibe i got from him was that he was selling stihl to me because thats what he had in stock and couldn't really support his argument for why stihl is best... i know stihl is their best seller but i as well as most people i would think would like to compare the competition before making what i would consider fairly important buying decisions

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Incorrect - all Tanaka straight shaft trimmers contain solid steel drive shafts, including the split shaft units.

-MW

5. pugs

LOL...thats probably the attachment I was looking at...stupid edger.

I dont have a 250SF here to look at...all I have are 230's. I dunno if they use the same lower section or not. Or if they just change gearboxes???

I think the gearbox is what determines what blade kit they use. So if the 250SF shares a gearbox with a 230 then get that blade set...if it shares a gearbox with the 250PF then get that blade set.

However when I go on their website there is no breakdown for the 250SF....under multitask tools it lists the 250PF and that parts breakdown doesnt show anything about the SF version :(

6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Good Catch! I made the change on the Web site. Also, the blade conversion kit for the -250SF is 748504. And, yes, the TBC-230 uses a different gear box than the -250SF.

SF-PF: It's going to be the death of me!

-MW

7. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Just a quick plug on the Augers:

There are still some TIA-340 one man augers out there. The current model is the TIA-350S and we are bringing the TEA-500 two-man back next month.

-MW

8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

1. Yes, use the 748504. I have added that model to the site - thanks for the catch.

2. Tanaka America: Yes, yes, and yes! 1-888-482-6252

3. Call Gardner South for the latest new dealer incentive programs. Each distributor territory has their own requirements.

-MW

9. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

"but the vibe i got from him was that he was selling stihl to me because thats what he had in stock and couldn't really support his argument for why stihl is best..."

10. pugs

Yah, I think the one we have here is a 340...we just dont sell many or any of the augers or drills here for some reason. Mostly just the weedwhackers, hedgetrimmers and blowers....but we do keep a drill, auger and saws around...