Tea time 2

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by growingdeeprootsorganicly, Jul 20, 2008.

1. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

after taking a soil sample( annual crop soil) and viewing biology.

if all need organisms are present,
    what would be the best type of tea to add to that system?

should you apply a balanced tea always(bact,fung,proto) or should you apply a bacteria/fungal only so higher numbers are inoculated? and maybe a week or two later apply a more protozoan dominated tea and alternate from there with your tea's?

what about perennial systems like turf grass and flower gardens?
    any idea's guys & galls?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I personally believe Ct's do not have as big a place in maintenance as currently marketed in the organic movement.

I understand using a Tea after tilling, or after the ground thaws from winter in extreme climates, or after a strong fungicide is used.. like the organic chitin... but other then that, IMO regular application of a CT is like washing your car 6 times a day. It really doesn't need it. CT's are not fertilizers.

Sorry I was no help.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am with JD. If you have all the guys you need. Then just leave it, come back in a few months/year/major change to the soil due to human/environmental disruption and test again.

To me, and others here, the idea is a zero-input lawn. Sounds like you just got one step closer, work on you OM and balancing the soil and your good to move on to the next one and use that as your poster child. <-- Is that a bad phrase?

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

He specifically mentioned crops.

5. JDUtah

from UT

haha, whoops! my bad.

Kiril????

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

oh my, the search for the holy grail is upon us, a zero input yard, no auto pollution, no mowers bringing in pathogens(you do know that you doctors are using the same scalpel on all your patents), no harvest, no rosters donkeys or fatherless customers, un doing your work, no "i want every blade perfect". F THAT, in nature a whole grass plain dies off from(insert here) and all that OM is deposited as it lays, no blower no rake.

so if you really want a no input yard, ask god to wipe us all out!!

the 3 C's
    cars cattle chainsaws, think that over and get back to me

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

I've been making CT for about 9 months now, and i have to say, every time i apply them to a plant I see benefit, It's not a fert in the sense of synthetic's but. there is some nutrient value there, available and locked up in bio mass. and if there are proto and nematodes, once in soil they do their thing and make nutrients available.
    so it works like a fert.

but back to my question about using your tea?

8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok so the question was about balance

YINYANG.jpg

9. JDUtah

from UT

Glad you have seen results, I haven't...

Straight CT vs none.. no diff.
    Compost Topdress with CT vs just compost topdress, no difference.

I am still waiting/testing but for me... the BS flag is almost out of the pocket.

Good luck with your treatments. Before/after/control pictures to help persuade me? I honestly would love if you could.

10. growingdeeprootsorganicly