1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Teaching a guy to use a stand on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guzzo856, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a great dane 48" surfer. Im gonna need another gut to operate it. I want to get one of my guys on the machine so the can get the hang of it as soon as possible. Most of my guys never cut with one before. I dont want to get an american off craigslist. I know it sounds bad but i would rather train a mexican than to get an American. Because my crew works better as a unit. Also with other experiences they can be a pain in the but by acting like they know everything
  2. mykayel

mykayel LawnSite Member

So is there a question in there?
  3. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

Just put one on it and practice. nobody's born with experience......you'd laughed your ass off if you saw me learning how to drive my Walker 13 years ago LOL!
  4. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

aww man i worked for a guy back when i was in my 20s and he had walkers...i hated those things lol...i hated that the forward and reverse movement had a seperate lever and i would try to turn 180 degrees at full speed lol....you have to almost pull the lever to the stop position when turning around on those things lol and then push it back forward...i like the normal ztr operation on other mowers much better
  5. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

When I opened my business they loaded it into my trailer I watched and then I was on my own. It took a whole 20 seconds to figure it out. No problem
  6. brian1425

brian1425 LawnSite Member

Ok so far this post has nothing to do with learning/teaching to drive a stand on. I will try to divert back to the original question as I have some genuine interest in it. How different is a stand on vs a rider? What is the learning curve for someone who has never driven a stand on?
  7. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The Wright is cake. No learning curve. To do a good job comes with taking pride in your work and doing the best you can. Its not play time. Visibility is high so its a lot easier than a rider (less likely to bump anything). The Wright handle is in the center with two moving ones on either side. Very comfortable. Its like riding a bike with training wheels cause you can't tip over. Just hold on tight. Hands can get a little sore the first few times out but that diminishes over time. Just hope no carple sets in.
  8. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 LawnSite Senior Member

Im gonna get them on it as soon as possible, thats how i learned by practacing
  9. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

It took me about 4 yards to master my v-ride. I did hit my house, rather hard at that, did do some damage to the house. I am glad it was my house and not a customer. I gotten where I run a quick ring around the fence and house with the 21" and then break out the v-ride and do the rest. It takes less than 5 minutes to ring the yard and keep a buffer zone and a bit of insurance. I guess when I feel a bit more confident, I may start cutting closer with the stander. It is my first zero turn and it is great as far as productivity. Best of luck.
  10. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Start them off in a parking lot, kinda like drivers-ed! Them put them on your largest flatest lawn with the least amount of turns and such. It isn't that hard to train someone on them! We have done it several times.