1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Teaching New Guys

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RedWingsDet, May 29, 2007.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

This is the first year Ihave hired some people that are unexpierenced. 3 of my current guys have atleast 6 years expierence in the industry but 2 of them have none. What is the best way to teach them how to use the ZTR and Weedwhip?
  2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

An open parking lot, and at least 30 mins a day on your worst yards. I would give them a general over view of loading and unloading and basic safety issues. I would also explain the weakness and the strenghts of the machine. Stress to them the importance of safety, maintenance of the machine and the overall cost of the machine. Intially speed would not be a concern. Most mower manufactures produce safety videos for their machines, check with your dealer.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

do what I do, have your most experienced show them hands on
  4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

PRAY - what? you think I am kidding?

This will be a stressful period for you but if your experienced guys are good, they will bring them right along. It is very important to stress the safety as stated above. Let them know that it is most important for them to come back with their bodies whole, respect the machines, understand the machines, use caution with the machines.
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

thats what i do i pretty much just get all his info for payroll and records and whether hes on a mowing crew or an install crew its then up to one of the foremans to take care of him from there....i got a new guy starting tomorrow actually
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you have better luck than I have had....... WOTRHLESS KIDS.....
  7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

ZTRs are relatively easy its the walk behinds and weed whips that take awhile. I actually wrote a "manual" this year. It seem to help some but it still takes at least 2-3 weeks before I dont have to worry about them.