teamwork-will it work?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawn Services Plus, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Lawn Services Plus

Lawn Services Plus LawnSite Member

I met up with an old friend the other day-saw me and my equip.
    and we started talking.-he is wanting to start up in business doing grading,bushhogging and such.my question is this-should
    we advertise together (im doing maintenance and some landscaping)? I don't want to be partners because of all the horror stories-but can we be seperate Financally yet appear
    to be one larger outfit-advice? suggestions are welcome :confused:

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do this, each person will own their division of the company. The biggest problem partners have is seperation of money and duties. But if you draw a line as to what services you will each provide, then divide the costs of advertising equally, you shouldn't have the problems most partners have.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that is a good idea. You will be able to expand your services and also maybe be able to make money off of your friend and vice versa. I personally would pay for all of the advertising services and work a deal with him about getting a certain percent off and then charging the customer to make a profit off of his work, other words, sub-contract it out.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Lawn Services Plus,

Here is a suggestion. You can advertise all the services you and your friend offer and then either sub-contract or just refer him the jobs. He could do the same for you as well.

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Thats a really good idea actually. Both parties can benefit from referals from the other! Just keep the seperation distinct by offering different services.

6. Lawn Services Plus

Lawn Services Plus LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice-we plan on doing some flyers this week
    adding his services to my list- I went to lunch with him today
    and he had some good ideas on ways I could do some things
    to make money (or save it) and I hope we can make this work..
    we plan on splitting the cost of advertising and we will pass the flyers out together....