Tearing up crabgrass...good idea?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ericds, Oct 7, 2003.

1. ericds

ericds LawnSite Member
    from CT

I was watching one of those home shows this past weekend and they focused on crabgrass. I live in CT and with the cold weather the roots of the crabgrass are nearly dead and very shallow. This home show said that one way to get rid of the crabgrass is to tear up the crabgrass and roots. I assume that I'd then plant new grass seeds.

Has anyone every heard of this before? Is this a good idea? Thanks so much for your help.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

At this time of the year, it won't help. Crabgrass has already released it's seed for next years plants. If you do it before they set seed, then you may have some success, but it would be awful time consuming in an area of heavy infestation.

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What would be the ideal time to remove it?

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You don't. It is an annual. The plants you see now are not going to be around next year, but their seed will be. That is where a pre-em comes into play. I'd also consider post em control such as Acclaim, but as far as pulling plants, it is too time consuming for me.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This time of the year , it pulls out real easy. Plus its easy to identify-usually purple. I'd re-seed after pulling and like Grassmechanic said, use a Preemergent next year.

6. DieselDeere

from Midwest

What is a Preemergent?

7. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

A preemergent weed control. Such as Dimension. They stop the weed seed from germinating.

8. DieselDeere

from Midwest

Dimension, I've never heard of that, can you get it without a license?

9. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing. I know HD sells a combination Lesco product fertilizer w/ dimension, but I would like to buy it seperately. Can one of the pros answer this?

10. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

You can go to a Lesco store and pick up Dimesion. Go to http://www.lesco.com and click on the Store Locator.