tearing up ground when turning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by superman, Jun 2, 2003.

1. superman

superman LawnSite Member

This may be a dumb question, but.... I know how to do a 3pt turn in a yard and keep it from tearing up the lawn. My question is when going around trees and poles or anything like that. My inside wheel always tears up the ground. After I have mowed there 3 or 4 times, there will be just dirt all the way around the tree. I have tried turning almost like a 3 pt turn around them, like turn...go straight a little...then turn...etc...this doesn't help either. Am I doing something wrong?

Oh yeah, I am mowing with a ZTR.

Thanks,

Judd

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

slow down...however, on smalller tree rings your tendency will be to almost lock the inside tire making it inevitable that you will sooner or later tear the turf.

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

4. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Yep, i own a trimmer. I just usually mow as close to something as I can, to cut down on trimmer time. I guess I have to make a choice...more trimmer time.....or dirt spots arount trees. I might convince the customer that I am just edgeing them out a spot for some mulch.... :laugh:

5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Try staying away from the tree and just swing the deck in close to the tree and work your way around it making several swing in's. This works pretty good on small trees and not too bad on bigger trees that have roots coming out at the base of the tree.
    After you get used to it you can just about get around a tree almost as fast as trying to turn around it.