1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tearing up the grass with your ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lacy Lawn, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Lacy Lawn

Lacy Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a Swisher 42" ZTR mower which I baught primarily for mowing my own 1.5 Ac lawn.

I have noticed that, if I turn in areas where the grass cover is not very thick, I rip up a tire prints worth of grass.

Do you have similar problems? Can anything be done to prevent it except for turning on a larger radius?

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome To Lawn Site Larry - Extensive coverage on this problem can be gotten by using the 'search' function. A quick answer would be to forget using a zero turn and go to the three point turn method, your lawn will love you.. Slowing down your ground speed (slower the better) before maneuvering will also help.

Have Fun
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its about operator error. The 3 pt turn will stop the problem. Most people think they need to just zip it around and go. I get new customers every year due to this flying around and spinning around. Customers don't like divots all in their lawns.
  4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Robert how big is your business and what areas do you serve? I'm in Clifton Park, NY
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

One Man Show - 23 regular accounts, 3 are local (Galway) remainder in Amsterdam. Did you get my PM ??

6. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you keep both wheels moving at all times.
  7. Lacy Lawn

Lacy Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.

Yes, the "search" really works.

It turns out that the 3 point was what I had had tried and didn't know it!!

BTW, I've found that if I turn at full throttle I can actually get a nice fish-tail!! Good thing its my oun yard :)