tearing when turning......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Mar 14, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

my partner and I have a 48" wb machine. When turning the thing around I keep tearing up the grass. I have tried to keep both wheels turning but it takes me off the cutting path.
    What am I doing wrong? I hate the fact that every turn you can see the tire mark in the grass.

2. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Are you making the turn at a really fast speed? Is the ground soft or wet? Does it only happen when you make one type of turn (left or right)?

3. George777

from Alabama

Good Question Sod father.
    Speed- slow
    Ground- has been pretty soft and damp from rain.
    Turn- I've only been making right turns.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Try making a K turn. If Im turning to the left I will pull back gently with the left hand, until the mower is in alignment with the row just cut.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

5. SodFather

It is very possible that the damp ground has something to do with it. I like the K turn idea. Also try to make a left turn and see what happens.

6. George777

from Alabama

kutnkru, can you explain the k turn. I'm a bit confused.

7. SodFather

When you get to the end of the row and you want to turn to the right as your turning right pull the right side of the mower back as your turning.

8. George777

from Alabama

I got ya, Thanks Sodfather. I will try this tomorrow. I was getting frustrated.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I only have a 21" w/b mower, I do understand the K turn, but I'm confused with the all right turns. :confused:

I will let Mr. K explain the K turn since it is named for him. ;)

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think he meant "and vice versa." :) After a while of doing this, George, you will get into the "swing" of it-literally, as you will be able to just swing your weight into it and sort of lean back while you are pulling the mower back. With a little practice, this will work like clockwork.