TECH-KNUCKLE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Mar 9, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My Dodge came with the pigtail to mount a trailer brake controller inside, got that done today. It also came with the 7 way plug in the rear. My 4 pin flat plug on the trailer now has an adapter plugged in to it so I can use the 7 way on the truck.

My trailer has the brake power wire run all the way to the jack and it.s just laying around up there. I need to connect the trailer brake wire to my plug.

My question is: Do I need to rewire the trailer using a true 7 way plug or is there a way to tie the brake wire into the 4 pin/ 7 pin adapter set up? The only thing I would know to do is tie it to the brake wire on the trailer but I.m not sure that would be the way to go.

Help!!!!!!!!!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would put a 7 wire plug on the trailer too. It will be much nicer this way. You can get them at a trailer dealer.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Homer, You trailer has brakes and a 4 pin connector??. This doesn't sound right. Most trailers with electric brakes that I've seen have a 6 or 7 wire set-up.

4. Homer,

I agree with Eric, get a 7 wire plug for the trailer and wire it up. It will be much better than your current setup.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, trailer came with a 4 pin connector. The brake wire was run to the jack and just wrapped around it!

Cheezy I know, I guess I will be looking for a 7 way tomorrow. Tired of having to lean on the brakes every 300 yds cause of stoplights!