Tech Test

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Dreams, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I ran into an old co-worker who is stuck over at MegalawnCo the other day. He said they were given a tech test and only 3 (ot of 17) guys passed it.
  2. New Green

New Green LawnSite Member

I am not sure of your point?? We don't know what the questions were. I maybe inclined to agree that most from the Megalawn Co's are not that bright. At least Megalawn knows where their employees level of knowledge is, at which point they can re-educate and re-test. I know that I have not tested my people. This thread raises an interesting point for me. I will be putting together testing for my people (who believe they know everything) in the off season. Whether it is a policy, procedure or tech. knowledge, education should be ongoing. Hopefully my crew will have a higher passing percentage.::p
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Most of them know just enough to pass the tests, as they study it directly out of the book and then take the tests. However, they couldn't tell you the first thing about pythium blight, the life cycle of a grub, what the best thing to use on wild violet is, what the difference between chinch bug and sod webworm damage is. They can't look at turf and tell the difference between a fungus and insect damage. As a matter of fact, many can't even identify sevearl weeds, let alone tell you the difference between different grass cultivars. To them, grass is grass. Being a "tech", or what I refer to as a hose jockey definitely doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence. They just go out and spray what they are told. Some don't even know what's in the tank.