Technique for mowing ditches?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by head_start, Jun 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

what is it :confused:? i seem to get my ztr stuck a lot when mowing ditches :hammerhead:. is it just becuase i don't do it right, or do i have a bad mower for ditches (front mount deck)? tips on mowing the ditches would be great

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

You probably arent going to like this response, but I had a 10 acre property last year with huge steep ditches in the front of the property. The same thing happened to me, I would get stuck or take out huge chunks of earth from the side of the deck with the Z. I took the guards off the trimmer and trimmed the dithces out. In the end, it took about the same time as with the Z.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, learned that the hard way too, now I either use a Wb or the trimmer,
    of course that's only after I got the Z stuck for the second time in the same ditch.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i use a walk behind to mow ditches, it easier and i dont worry about getting stuck.

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

A ditch is easy work for a walk-behind, especially a hydro. If your Z is tearing it up or getting stuck, you may be forced to using a string trimmer.

7. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

its a good thing i have a good string trimmer then? ok cool, the trimmer it is, becuase i seem to not have a walk-behind, yet. thank you

8. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

The string trimmer is your best bet. Sadly enough. Taking the guard off will help; you can feed more line.

9. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

Even my walk behind gets stuck so I just get as close as I can and then I take out the whacker and finish it up.

10. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I've gotten my z stuck on a pond incline 3-4 times in the same spot. Went WWII ing one of the times :angry:
    Posted via Mobile Device