Technology in your vehicle

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bustus, Mar 17, 2008.

?

Do you use technology?

1. Yes, it's in my truck

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Yes, but only at home/office

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  3. No, only pen and paper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

I'm sure most, if not all, have cell phones but how about GPS, laptop, printer, etc in their vehicles? Do you keep it simple with pen and paper for scheduling, recorder payments, etc.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

all trucks have an ezpass for tolls and a gps.

3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a GPS in my truck, Laptop and printer at home

4. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

my phone has gps so I guess I have it in the truck then, but i know my way around, I am considering getting a gps system for the truck

5. DiGiTLawncare

DiGiTLawncare LawnSite Member

If you know your way around... what is the use of a GPS? Not being a smartass but are there other features to be had over just simply getting directions?

6. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

For me personally a GPS is useful because we have one of the fastest growing cities in North America and new streets are being put up quicker than I can remember them. Our area is also quite large so there are many streets to learn. It is mostly useful at the start of the season when doing estimates at new properties.

It's also much safer than having a map out while driving and saves loads of time; you don't make any money if your driving around lost.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I put em in the truckas last yr during sprinkler blowout season . Each truck averages 25 stops per day during blowouts. By using these each truck was able to increase to 27-28 stops per day in the same time. They each payed for themselves the first day we used them.
    I know my way around real good , but they show you cross roads that may only save 3-4 minutes, but by days end it adds right up.

8. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, and I would consider myself a techno geek. Although I have a method to my madness. Everything is a write-off including the home office.

My goal is to make my solo business as paperless as is possible by using e-mail for customer contact and my laptop for tracking applications. The only paper I plan on using this year is for my contract and customer leave behind forms after an application is complete. To do this I use the following,
    - Palm Treo for mobile phone, e-mail and contact information in the field
    - Garmin NUVi 660 GPS with all my customers loaded in
    - Lenovo X61 tablet PC with Gopher Pro loaded to track my applications real time including weather, product applied, quantity and rate. I also plan on using the laptop for electronic inviocing. (this is an experiment I am trying this year)