Techo-Bloc Santorini

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by waltero, Mar 27, 2007.

1. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I have a walkway coming up in a few weeks and I have a question about this paver.

I normally always add a soldier course to the walkways for the added strenght to the smaller pieces after cutting. For this paver it seems that it comes in a 80cm size and the only way I could do it is with a sailor course from the smaller pieces. This in my first time using this specific paver and I am concerned that it won't look good if I take out to many of the smaller pieces.

I may just overlay and cut in place and any really small pieces that may move can get a little glue to hold it to the larger pieces. This is probably the route that I will take unless I get a better idea.

Walter

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I did a walkway out of it last year. What i did was take out enough small peices for the boarder course. I think it came out great. Awesome looking stuff.

3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i had the same prob with Athena last year. it was like 2-5/8" for some stupid reason and nothing else they make comes in that size to use as border. we where luckley doing a raised patio and the cap would act as the border anyway, but i was afraid to use the 6x9 or what ever it was as the solider course for fear that i would need them in the field. i dont know why they do that. its not even 60 or 80 cm.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I do not think Santorini needs a border.

The paver is intended to have a random, UN-STRUCTURED appearance. A Border gives a FINISHED look. To me, the Santorini would loose it's character if you tried to add a finished look to it.

Santorini does not need a border.

Soldier course borders are so yesterday.

5. mrusk

This is where we disagree. I think a boarder finishes the job. When ever i see any type of walk way without a boarder i am like :hammerhead: :hammerhead: I do not care if it is bluestone, pavers, etc. As long as its not irregular flagstone i'd would always use a boarder.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. And if borders are yesterday then every major manufacturer and their product catalogs are living in the past. (sailor or soldier)

Chris

7. DVS Hardscaper

Borders are an element of architecture.

And this is where I get concerned with contractors with no knack for architecture.

If you're working in a wooded, rustic setting, and doing a pavement with that is to resemble old world charm - a border would be the demise of the pavement.

if you ever been to Europe - then you seen all those pavement with no borders!

If you're doing a pavement for a home with contemporary elements - then the pavement should have contemporary elements, such as a border.

An irregular, random laid stone patio typically does not get a border.

Take techo's new paver - NATURA - how you gonna put a border with that?

Something else I hate - is when people put borders on pavers where pavers meet walls. Borders should only go on OUTSIDE perimeters. Never along INSIDE perimeters.

REGARDLESS, the Santorini does not need a border.

8. mrusk

Yea no way boarders are a thing of the past. If anything i think using differenty types of material as boarders will be the next thing. I like paver boarders on blue stone jobs. I am desiging a job right now with a clay paver boarder on a bluestone walk.

No boarders against houses/walls?? See i think that looks half assed.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Chris - No where did I stated "borders are yesterday".

I stated "Soldier course borders are so yesterday".

And they ARE.

There are so many ways to create a border without utilizing the Soldier course.

Infact, Techo-Bloc is trying to get contractors to open their eyes and find other alternatives to soldier course borders.

The Santorini doesnt need a border, and I've yet to see any pics in any marketing collateral depicting it used with a border.

Just like some shirts are designed to be worn un-tucked.

10. mrusk

Most of the time i use a sailor course anyway.