Techo-Bloc Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ZX12R, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a wall I built. Let's here the good,the bad,and what you would have done different. Be gentle.:)

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Hmm. I think when i was doing the excavation for the wall i would of knocked down the neighbors house!

Otherwise, like i always said "New Jersey has the best hardscapers in the country!" And after seeing the other thread in this section, apparently we also have the worst hardscapers in the country.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard to tell the craftsmanship, but the design looks sweet!

Chris

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Very nice. Simple and elegant. Whats mounted on the pillars? Sprinkler?

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good , but like Chris said we cant see the mechanics of it. Very appealing.
    mike

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

looks great. not really digging the small boulders of a different color in front of the weeping cherry, but the rest looks great.

7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

look real good. what techo block is the 6" back wall? it almost looks like calistro, but they stopped making that.

8. ZX12R

"Hmm. I think when i was doing the excavation for the wall i would of knocked down the neighbors house!"

There are others that agree with you.:rolleyes:

"not really digging the small boulders of a different color in front of the weeping cherry, but the rest looks great."

Thanks Sourhern,we call those boulders "moss rock" in this part of the country.:)

"Looks good , but like Chris said we cant see the mechanics of it. Very appealing."

Thanks Mike,I used plastic inserts on straight parts of the wall and glued everything.While building it,I sliced vertical grooves in placed where I was going to mount lights.

'Very nice. Simple and elegant. Whats mounted on the pillars? Sprinkler?"

Yes,Toro 570 mounted on 3/4" PVC running up yhe wall to water urn and circular part of wall.It's a fountain spray nozzle whick looks cool when its on.

"Hard to tell the craftsmanship, but the design looks sweet!"

Thanks Chriss,I do not do this every day,and I appreciate that coming from someone like you and the others here.

"look real good. what techo block is the 6" back wall? it almost looks like calistro, but they stopped making that."

Good eye McKee,it is Callistro.It is discontinued but my supplier still had plento of it in stock. I built a much smaller and circular wall in that yard after Callistro was discontinued using Creta plus.Its basically the same block. I will post pics when it stops raining here. :)

Thank you for all comments! Curved part of wall took a little time,but I tend to be too picky.I started out cutting the block with a cutoff saw,but,it was very hard to get a nice 90 degree cut.If its too much off,you will see a gap on either side of the wall which drove me crazy:hammerhead: .So,I went out and bought a 14" MK electric saw soley for that(Its really light,I can put it on my shoulder and carry it no problem....well worth it).

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

like it:weightlifter: gentile curves, pillar end caps, secondary lower wall with appropriately sized block, lighting... very nice.

I'm sure the fountain head looks cool but drip would be much more pleasing to the eye.

when the asphalt gets laid, how much of the lower wall will remain?

are the mums out front considered an annual, and you'll just keep changing out with season appropriate plant choices? if yes- cool, if not, I would have cut back on the number of mums and added in some other plant choices to help color spring/summer.

what plant is in the circle, a privit or yew? and I see coralbell and either variegated jap sedge or liriope under the weeper.

10. ZX12R

"like it gentile curves, pillar end caps, secondary lower wall with appropriately sized block, lighting... very nice.

I'm sure the fountain head looks cool but drip would be much more pleasing to the eye.

when the asphalt gets laid, how much of the lower wall will remain?

are the mums out front considered an annual, and you'll just keep changing out with season appropriate plant choices? if yes- cool, if not, I would have cut back on the number of mums and added in some other plant choices to help color spring/summer.

what plant is in the circle, a privit or yew? and I see coralbell and either variegated jap sedge or liriope under the weeper."

Thanks Grn Mtn for the kind words.

The main driveway is about 200' and will be paved.The part you see in the pic is about 30' x 20'.I am going to use "Santorini" by Techo Blok.They are over 3" thick. To answer your question about the lower wall,,what you see now is what you will see after pavers are laid.

Yes,the mums are annuals.Next season,I think I will plant New Ginea Impatients for year round color.

Gold thread cypress are around the pillars.Variegated liriope are under the cherry tree.You have a great eye,I have no idea how you can see that from the pics.I can barely make them out myself. :)