Tecumsah 4.5 HP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sailinstud420, Dec 21, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey fellas,

I have an old snapper self propelled (prob about 1982-1985) with a tecumsah engine on it. The block was cracked and I found a new murray push with the a tecumsah 4.5 Hp on it that bolts right on. I switched all the old snapper fuel tank, carb, shroud, etc and threw it on this new motor. In my haste to get things done I didn't really pay attention to how the gov linkage stuff hooked up. I found this pic on the net and it is an identicle setup.

I have all the parts but I was wondering if the screw that the red arrow is pointing to gets tightened enough that the arm doesn't have the ability to move around. From my understanding somehow this controls engine speed. Does it need to be set straight up? Or do I want it angled one way or another slightly? I hear these engines are supposed to run around 3200 rpm, but are capable of about 6000. Does anyone crank their's up slightly?

Also, just curious, what is the function of that hose that the blue arrow is pointing to? Let me know. Thanks for the help.

tsgovarrows.JPG

2. SER

SER LawnSite Member

The hose you are refering to is for crank case air pressure to escape from the crank case. As for the governor, well it is hard to explain without showing you in person. Try this: Have someone start the mower, or machine. Work quick because if the governor is not adjusted or is set too high, you will have a very very high reving engine. Continued running on high RMPS could lead to engine failure so be careful. Have a screwdriver ready to loosen the screw or nut, then by hand move it left/right to reduce engine RMPs. When at the proper RPMs tighten the screw or nut. Go from there with the adjustments. Typical RPM should be about 2600 to 3000 RPMs for an engine.
    There are volumes of information either on the internet or at your local library which will help even more.
    Good luck and becareful.
    SER

3. sailinstud420

any thoughts on how to get the stinkin flywheel off? I tried to tap it with a hammy, as well as pry it off with a screwdriver. I couldn't get it to budge, that cheap cast stuff I don't want to break either. Any thoughts?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

That engine should be turning 3600 rpm not 3000. To get the flywheel off first take the nut off which i'm sure you've done. Next turn the mower over on its side with the muffler pointing up and tap the bootm of the crank with a hammer. You may have to take the blade off. Most of the time after 2 or 3 hits they will pop right off. Another thing you could do is use a gear puller and pull it off but you risk breaking the flywheel.

5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Or, you could order the correct tool from a Tecumseh dealer to use to remove a Tecumseh flywheel without damaging it.

6. Travis Followell

from KY

About how much would it cost and can it be used on engines other than Tecumseh's?

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Are there 3 holes in the top of the flywheel around the crankshaft, or 2?

If there are 3, the part number for the tool is 670306 and you may be able to get a dealer to order you one for around $10. As far as working with other engines, probably not, unless they have the hole pattern like a Tecumseh.

And as for your crankcase oil breather hose, there should be an elbow and another piece of hose that attaches it to the top of the carburetor. Or, being older, it may just need a 90 degree piece that extends it down the side of the crankcase.

8. sailinstud420

The flywheel that is on right now, I don't care about, lol. There is another one on the other engine that was originally on the ol snappper. With this flywheel I can throw the old snapper fuel tank, shroud, etc on it. The snapper starter uses teeth on the bottom of the flywheel, the cheapo murray industries version has a system that utilizes the top of the flywheel.

Can anyone explain to me more clearly how to get this gov thing fig'ed out? Sounds complicated.

9. Travis Followell

from KY

Its simple really or for me it is. Just hook them up like they are in the picture and be sure they move and don't catch on anything and then start the engine and see if it runs at the correct speed. If not then it will need adjustment.

10. randy448

randy448 LawnSite Member

Govenor can be set by loosening screw a bit,twist the shaft coming out of engine clockwise to make sure it is against stop. Then move carb link to wide open position,to right as in picture.Hold both peices in positoin,yes call for two more hands about now.Tighten screw securely.Now you have placed gov arm against stop in wide open position and carb link in wide open position.Oh, by the way,do this with engine SHUT OFF!! Hi speed is determined by how much sprig is pulled ,all the gov does is maintain a speed with variable loads against engine.