Tecumseh 1/2 choke to operate

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tagg, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

We have a Tecumseh OH195EA engine on a Cyclone Rake unit. The engine ran fine last week doing leaves, but today it would only run at 1/2 choke position. I didn't have a new air filter with me so I had to run it that way today. Just need some info on what to look for, such as air filter, possibly a fuel restriction or blockage in the carb ? When it is at the full choke position it will die out and also at the full choke off position. There is also a temperature baffle in the air filter compartment but it didn't make any difference with it installed or not. The engine probably only has about 50-60 hours on it. Thanks.:usflag:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to remove the float bowl nut and clean it out, The bowl nut is also the main jet.

Make sure there is no trash/water in the bowl or fuel tank and replace the fuel filter, If this one only has the screen in the tank and you have room to install a in-line filter do so.

You will also probably need to replace the plug now after running 1/2 choke for so long, And you know what to do with the air filter.