Tecumseh 17OHV Enduro Recoil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JContracting, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased an exmark Viking that happened to have this engine on it. I paid next to nothing for it but this originally is for an electric start model, the mower its on isnt set up for that as its older. I have found this pull recoil.
    http://search.cartserver.com/search/odstorecgi.cgi?cartid=a-8671&category=Tecumseh_Parts&maxhits=50&keywords=590714
    Has anyone had experience with it before and do they know if this recoil will bolt on and work? I'd rather gain insight than spend $94 + shipping on something that may not work. If it doesn't ill scrap the tecumseh and find a kawi or kohler.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There's no telling without knowing the engine model AND spec. numbers, There's likely more parts required to perform this task.....

IMO..... Locate another engine and throw this one in the scrap pile where it belongs.....

3. JContracting

Not sure why I thought it was a 17horse, I guess I was tired. But here's an image of the serial #, etc. It's a 16hp.

[​IMG]

4. Restrorob

Looking that engine up, You would need the starter cup/screen and spacer as well;

[​IMG]

Problem is...... Tecumsea has long since went out of business, There's no part number listed for the proper recoil assembly or the spacer. Will the recoil assembly you found work even if you found the proper spacer ? That's anyone's guess......

5. JContracting

Screw it, I'll find a Kawi, Kohler, or Briggs Engine to throw on it. I have an ECS Conversion kit also, with a new engine and maybe repainting this mower I could get a couple grand for it or I just may hold onto it and keep using it and add a ZTR in the summer.

6. Restrorob

Wise choice..... ;)