Tecumseh 6-7 hp Carburetor Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GraZHopA, May 21, 2003.

1. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a little help. I have an older Troy Built Horse (rear tine tiller) with a 6-7 hp Tecumseh horizontal shaft (vertical piston). I was going to take the carburetor off to clean it, until I discovered that I could not remove it. It appears that the carburetor is bolted to an intake manifold via 1/4" studs. The studs are turning inside the "intake manifold" when the nut(s) is/are turned with a wrench. Any idea on how to remove the nuts? It is looking like I will have to cut down through the nuts with a dremmel tool. I don't have the Tecumseh Service Manual, so I have no idea if these are actually studs. If you have a Tecumseh Service Manual, an exploded view or parts schematic might be of help. Suggestions are also appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I bet I would NOT have this problem with a Briggs motor!:angry:

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Not too sure I understand but try to take the intake manifold off the block. I seem as there is a Phillips head bolt that hold the carb to the intake manifold that can be reached after taking the carb and manifold off together. It has been quite awhile since I have worked on one of those. Good Luck

3. GraZHopA

ducky1:

I tried to take the intake manifold and the carburetor off the block together. There are two (2) Phillips head bolts located at positions left upper and right lower. The left upper will come out without problem, but the right lower appears that it will hit the carburetor before it comes out. However, I will try again. Are you saying that the carburetor attaches to the intake manifold from the back side and that the screws can be reached after taking the carburetor and intake manifold off together? I will admit that I have now experience wrenching on a Tecumseh engine. I can hold my own on a Briggs. I guess this is why I have stayed away from the Tecumseh engine all my life. I normally would not even mess with it, but it belongs to my day.... Thanks for the help...

4. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I read your first post again and have a question. Is is a stud that is turning or a bolt. I have seen some put on with a bolt and you sometimes have to have a thin wrench to get behind the carb to hold it. As far as the Phillips screws goes if you can get them to turn you can pull the intake off as you unscrew the Phillips head our of the block.

5. GraZHopA

ducky1:

It appears to be a set of studs. However, it may be a set of screws. Once I get the whole unit off I will know for sure. Thanks for your help..