Tecumseh carb won't let fuel into engine.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by roadkill, Dec 20, 2004.

1. roadkill

roadkill LawnSite Member

I've got a 6.0 Tecumseh horizontal engine with the new style carb. I've cleaned every jet, port, opening and anything else I could find to clean. When you push the primer button, very little if any fuel goes into carb. I tried closing the breather intake with no luck. It runs fine when you pour gas into carb. I've replaced the float, float bowl and gasket, needle and seat, and the primer button, no help. When I spray carb cleaner in the openings, seems all the jets are open and working fine. Is there suppose to be anything inside the bowl nut, like a needle valve or the like? I found a break down picture for my carb, and it shows a fuel well spacer in there. My local shop says that there's not suppose to be one. Who's right? I'm in the process of a third soaking and cleaning job. Any help will be appreciated!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You need to replace the gaskets. Thats whats causing you the problems. I'm not really sure how many gaskets the new style has, I know the older ones have 2 on the vertical shaft engines. I'm pretty sure your's will also have 2 like the older ones because it doesn't look like they've changed them that much. I've had plenty of experience with these small Tecumseh engines and I am confident that this is your problem.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tecumsehs are very temperamental. They do not like anything being out of adjustment or they will not run at all. Have you checked the venturi and the throat out to see if they are clear?? I've had similar problems with some of mine.

4. roadkill

roadkill LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what the venturi and throat are. Do you have any kind of picture or diagram? This has definitely been a learning experience.

5. roadkill

roadkill LawnSite Member

Got it fixed! Soaked it for 7 hours in B12 Chemtool, then blew out all passages with shop air. Works like a charm. Thanks for the replys.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Glad you got it running. When mine act up like that all i have to do most of the time is clean the carbs and also have to replace the gaskets too or they won't run.