1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tecumseh Carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Westbrooklawn, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 9 hp tecumseh on a tiller, and it wouldn't run. Took the carb off and it was all junked up. Cleaned it out, put it back on and it started right up....trouble now is that it is dripping gas when not running.

The needle valve attached to the float seemed to seat in some sort of spongy white material.....not a brass seat as I've always seen in other carbs. I dug some of the stuff out when I was cleaning the carb, and wondered if this is what is causing my leak. Is that white stuff supposed to be in there? I couldn't seem to get to the bottom of it, so I assumed it was some sort of seating material that tecumseh carbs used????? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it's the seat for the needle. And yes it has to be there in good condition. Usually you can remove them by blowing compressed air in the fuel inlet nipple.
  3. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

sounds like you dug into the seat. I did the same thing a while back. only thing mine was black, but the same soft spongy texture you describe.

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

The tecumseh carb has a metal needle and rubber seat, the brass seat carbs have a rubber tip needles.
  5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

A new one is included in a carb. kit. A word of caution about blowing air in the fule inlet to remove the old seat. Don"t point it toward yourself because it usually comes out at a high rate of speed. Point it at the cat or something.
  6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to all for their responses.....I understand now that the seat is a replacable item, and I have ordered a carb kit.

My concern, however, is how to get the old seat out. On my original cleanout attempt I blew high pressure air through the fuel inlet, and while the air came up through the needle seat passage it DID NOT blow the old seal out. Should I just dig it out with something like a small drill bit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not use a drill bit because it may scratch the inside where the new seat will not seal off right after you install it. Some times the old seat gets stuck pretty tight. Try several blast of air out of a compressor that is fully pumped up. If you have one of those safety air guns that dont give a good blast you may have to rig something else to give it a good blast.
  8. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

westbrook, try using an awl. this a sharp pointed tool, usually with a screw driver handle. if you don't have something like this, go to a napa and see what they've got.
  9. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Does this engine have a a brass soldered together float in the carb?

If so, check to see that it is still tight and not leaking. If the float fills up with fuel, it will never seat, no matter weather the seat is new used, or cleaned.

As far as removal of the old seat, put the carb in Gunk carb cleaner overnight, wash it out with water, then blow it out with air. Stick the air gun directly into the seat and it should come clean. If you still need to get it out, carefully heat the carb around the seat with a propane torch. Don't get it too hot, just enough to dislodge the seat when you crank on it with a screw driver. Works like a charm.