Tecumseh Closing Doors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmsoilPower, Oct 14, 2008.

1. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Was told yesterday by a central distributor salesman that effective Dec. 31st all U.S. and Canadian distributors will no longer carry Tecumseh. Tecumseh is closing its doors, not filing bankruptcy. Bottom line.......If you have engines on your equipment, stock up on parts NOW!!! There will no longer be any parts produced and once the warehouses are out, that's it. He thought Peerless would stay operational for now but was not totally sure. If you have warranty engines, you are SOL at the end of the year. Most dealers will probably shut-off warranty work around Nov. 15th to be sure they get paid in time. My warehouse has already been told that when the last one of a particular part # is sold, it will automatically supercede to a Oregon # in their computer system.

Appears that Tecumseh lost out on a huge snowblower engine contract (MTD I assume)and that was the final blow. Kohler is developing snowblower engines quickly to fill the void. Kohler already has a new rotary mower engine new this year. Thought everyone would like to know this. Look for a official announcement very soon.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that was my first thought, what about snowblowers? But I guess that's being covered... I have one Techumseh on an old Ariens snowblower. As crappy of an engine as many of them are this one NEVER fails. I bet it would start in one or two pulls right now and it hasn't ran since Feb.

Anyway... That's kinda sad, Techumseh was a big name in OPE for many years.

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Thank God!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well now hang on a second...
    And it would bug me if a tranny craps out and I can't find no spare parts.
    But at the same rate they still have to stick something in every
    single new mower that comes off the assembly line, right?
    No tranny, no mower.

So somebody a lot bigger than me has a whole lot of problem too and I am pretty sure
    before I even start to worry about this the entire thing will have been resolved.

Just have to wait and see what happens.

LOL I tell ya even with two peerless trannies I just don't feel the pain either.
    And I am sorry, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It was only a matter of time. No biggie.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The stockholders in the company have a bigger stake in the matter than an LCO with a tranny that may be subject to failure. Those making a financial decision to close doors have a responsibility to those owning the shares in the company. I think we just heard much about those in high places having a disregard for those owning the shares in the company, and those words weren't very pretty.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Great . . . I just bought a new for 2008/2009 Toro single stage with the new Tecumseh snow King 5.5hp 4 stroke. :cry:

I have been hearing of rumors of them going under for over a year now. :hammerhead:

8. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Dana/Spicer will probably fill the void.

9. bbcmat

bbcmat LawnSite Member

I'm sure the aftermarket will come out with adapter plates for existing applications - allowing use of their power units.

Would have to be easier than jamming a big block into a Vega!

MAT

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, some really heartless S.O.B. 's on this site.

What about all the workers who will lose their jobs, pensions, and benefits. The USA doesn't need another manufacturer to go under, this country can't afford that right now. I'm sad to see them go.