1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tecumseh Leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clayslandscape, Dec 28, 2011.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a generac generator off a customer that he has never used. It did not run when I bought it so I paid very little for it. I poured gas in the tank and it begins leaking our of the air intake.

I took the air intake off and the gas is over flowing from the carbourator. I have taken that apart and that is now clean but still leaks.

What are some possible causes? Thank you in advance!

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

It likely has sat with old fuel. Inlet needle stuck, defective seat, float stuck to the bowl by varnish to name a few problems. Remove and clean the carb thoroughly then install a needle/seat/bowl gasket(631021B) and a new float(632019). With no engine numbers, it's difficult to know which carb it is equipped with. If the carb happens to have the plastic fuel nozzle, there are two orings(632547) on the nozzle should be replaced as they are known to deteriorate, although they are not a cause of your leaking problem. With engine numbers someone may even provide rebuild procedures.

3. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

4. dutch1

from Jayhawk

The engine numbers are stamped into the blower housing. With the link you provided, once you remove the carb and pull the carb bowl, you should be able to determine which type you have.

5. clayslandscape

Engine Model- HM100 159436P
    Engine Family- WTPXS3582BA

6. ArenaLandscaping

7. clayslandscape

8. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Your carb should resemble the carb at this link, at least it should get you through the rebuild process. Judging from the info Arena provided, the float is likely the plastic float rather than brass, which I gave the part number for.

You shouldn't have much wrapped up in parts if you can buy locally. If the float is OK, all that you should need is the needle/seat/gasket kit and the two nozzle orings. A 10 spot should cover the parts w/o any shipping. I've found that I can get the two nozzle orings(1/8" ID,1/4" OD at an auto supply.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_carb_640084b.asp

9. ArenaLandscaping

10. clayslandscape

Well the carb rebuilt did the trip plus a bit of sanding on the spark plug.

I now need to find the link/spring that connects the throttle to the choke so that is functional and thats it!

Thanks in advanced guys!