Tecumseh Sno King=BOOM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Nov 21, 2000.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Wrong forum I know. I did post in Snow plowing discussions too. Its slow with the lawns so read my latest bad luck story.
    I am wondering what you gents think. I bought a new toro 8hp snowblower in 1997 (FEB.) It has the Tecumseh Sno King on it. I probably didn't use it more than 15 hours over the past couple years and never commercially. I had a problem with the spark plug threads recently and I spent 35 for a new gasket and head. After installing the head and changing the oil, I didn't start it because I didn't have any gas. Today I filled it up and primed it and started it. Smoke was coming out from somewhere so I shut it off and took all the belt and gear covers off to see if I could find the source. I started it again and let it run, after a minute it threw the rod right out of the side of the sleeve with a big bang and lots of white smoke. Lucky I was on the other side as it shot metal 15 feet away. It looks like the thing came apart at the crankshaft. Did I have a bad engine? Did I screw something up? I just spent 350 for a new motor. I'm waiting to put it in. The warranty on this ran out in Feb 99.

What would you do?

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a shovel!! Or better yet move south.

3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Write a letter to Tecumseh stating your problem. Tecumseh makes some of the sloppiest engines I have ever seen. Just really poor tolerances. I am sure this isn't the first time one of their ingines has come undone. I too have a Toro w/Tecumseh. I hate their engines.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i have the same toro 824. Incredable machine but i agree that that engine is trash. Has run so rough from the first day i bought the machine. Considering i use it maybe 10 days total a year it should last forver... i doubt it will though. I wish snowblowers came with diffrent engine choices like mowers do!

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'll say one thing good about the Tecumseh engines, they sure start good in cold weather.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've noticed that most snowblowers have the Tecumseh engines. Waht makes them so great to start in cold weather? I had a no name power edger with a Tecumseh engine that seized up on me. Ever since then, Tecumseh has been at the bottom of my engine list.

7. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

The old Massey Fergusons had Tecumsehs, so evidently they USED to be good, I've got a '72 H70 I'm gettin' ready to shortblock (that's on a Massey). Here is a club dedicated to Tecumsehs http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/tecumsehengineclub The founder used to be a TPC engineer.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

They have such sloppy tolerances they are easy to crank when cold (low compression) and the oil will always get around thins even when its gelled to the consistency of grease. And they are cheap. And you can get away with a cheap quality engine on a piece of equipment which the average homeowner uses less than 10 hours a year.

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Tecumseh on my 77 Bolens that ran for 27 years before it needed rebuilt. It worked every week mowing and the last three on the old motor were heavy commercial summer and winter.

My two snow blowers both have them, one is 6 years old other is two years old. Both always start on the coldest days and both are still running. All use has been commercial.

My edger and chipper are both Tecumseh also and never had a problem yet after four years on both.

10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

ED,
    I HAVE THE SAME ENGINE ON MY SNO-BLOWER. ONLY HAVE HAD IT ONE SEASON THOUGH. SO FAR IT HAS RUN FINE. MAYBE YOU JUST GOT A BAD ENGINE. AT LEAST THE NEW ONE SHOULD BE UNDER WARRENTEY THIS WINTER. SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL GET A WORK OUT THIS WINTER ACCORDING TO THE WEATHER MAN.
    GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW ENGINE.
    Mowman