1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tecumseh super 6 won't run.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MATTHEW, May 11, 2002.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I just had the Snapper with the Tecumseh super 6 in the shop because it would not run. The dealer said they fixed the carb. It worked for a week and then quit. I did not have time to take it back. It has been 2 months and I really want to get this thing going. It will run for about 2 seconds and then quit. Everything seems to check out. Would a bad head gasket cause this? If not, what?
  2. Hugh937

Hugh937 LawnSite Member

Same problem with a Tecumsah 10 in a 5 kw generator. Noticed another post for a Tecumsah 13, which is a 4 stroke like mine, but not sure if 6 is 2 or 4 stroke. Anyway, fuel appears to flow to filter, but nothing in the bowl. Found a jpeg on a earlier post you can find by searching on Tecumsah 13. I think all the carbs are similar and I think this is a common problem. Cleaning the filter seemed to restore the flow there, but not to bowl. Believe the inlet line is clogged. Filling bowl or ether allows to run till runs out. I bet you have dirt in your tank causing same problem, but how to get it out of blocking inlet to carb, Im not sure.
    Good Luck.