Tecumseh won't run!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shady Brook, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a snapper snow blower with a 5 horse Tecumseh on it. It ran well first year I had it, although it started kind of hard from the begining. Put very few hours on it, and sold it to a buddy. Treated the fuel, and this fall he trys to start it, and it will not go. I pulled the bowl, and it had some crud in it, and don't have any idea how it got there. Anyway, sprayed some cleaner in the carb with the bowl off, and she started after assembly.

He used the blower with no problems a few weeks ago, and ran it out of fuel. Blower sat til today, and he put fresh fuel in, and it would not start. I replaced the plug as it was black and wet. Cleared the cylinder by pulling the chord 10 times, replaced plug, with no difference. Does not even sound close to starting, no sputtering or anything. I pulled the bowl, sprayed in the carb good. Sprayed in where the butterfly is, and around the other areas I could get with carb still attached. I can not see how to pull the carb out of this snapper blower, or I would have soaked the carb.

Put her back together, and she started, but soon quit. I think I was running on the cleaner fumes. The gasket around the bolt holding on the bowl is falling apart, but does not seem to be leaking. Still wants to foul the plug. I can spray a bit of starting fluid in the plug hole and it will turn over, but eventually dies quickly.

Ok, I am ready to toss it in the trash can. I have 4 Suzuki's, an R tek, and have had no problems with them in 7 years. This thing is bummin me out, and making me afraid of my Powerlite that runs junky for a while after nearly every start. I do not have much faith in this engine brand.

Any thoughts for me on why the blower is bad? Other then filth in the carb, could it be a venting issue or anything else I am not considering?

Thanks
    Jay

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's probably the carb adjustments. Tecumseh's are finicky. Don't trash it - I'll take it. I can get them to run after playing with it for a bit.

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks Mike, but can this carb be adjusted? I think it is probably a 2000 model. It is supposed to be their high end motor if that means anything?

Thanks
    Jay

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked under the flywhell to make sure the key is not bent or broken? Briggs had problems like that and I have seen a few techumsehs that could do that as well.....

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I did not notice any problems there. What I do notice is that if I let it sit a couple minutes and try to start it on choke, it will run for a a few seconds, and then it will die. The primer bulb, or goofing with the choke do nothing. I am now leaking gas from either the bowl o-ring, or from the bolt holding it on. The rubber washer needs replaced on the bowl. Is it possible that air is getting into the system from one of these leaks which allow it to run briefly and then die?

Thanks
    Jay

6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Tecumseh Wont run? Most dont ( sorry )

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I discovered the needle fell out! Gee I wonder why it did not run well! I still agree with you as well Jammer.
    Thanks

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We took a 5HP one time and made a Titanium rod, rebalced the flywheel, then connected a 350 cubic inch Chevy smog pump to the crankshaft on a one to one drive...Thus a supercharged Tecumseh, pushing a 5hp to 31 hp, turning over 11,000 rpm.

At 103 mph, I got scared on my mini bike and let go of the throttle...

They won't let us run tecumseh engines in the AQMA because they hold an unfair advantage over the Honda and Briggs engines...

For equipment, I agree, they are basic junk!

9. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

First problem, It's a Tecumseh, Sounds like you need take the carb off and soak it in Berrymans carb cleaner for about 30 minutes. I would replace the needle,seat, bowl gasket and carb gasket. Tecumseh carbs are real picky about dirt and VARNISH. A.OSmith

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Master of the Lawn

I plan to do exactly as you say. Interesting you mention Berrymans, I use it as a cheaper substitute to Sea Foam. I think it is the same thing half the price. I have some carb soak from Berrymans Carb soak also. I defineatly feel more comfortable with those little Suzuki's.

Thanks fellas
    Jay