1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Teen Agers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by komalley73, Jul 24, 2002.

1. komalley73

komalley73 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any LCO's have problems hiring any teenagers b/c lately i have been bitten by the bug and have been mowing some of my neighbors lawns for a fee. Next summer I would like to try and get a job with a lawn company, do people have a problem hiring teen agers?
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm 15 and have a small mowing operation (hope to expand next year because I'll have a license and I'm fixing up a larger mower over this winter). I have been around Lawnsite for almost 2 years and the general consensus seems to be that it will vary upon the particular company and that company's insurance. Some won't have much faith in someone that isn't at least 18 or whatever and some will be like go ahead and they give you full control (ok not many like that but there's a couple). It might help if you already knew/know one. Also you will have to prove that you can handle the machines in an effecient and safe manner and leave the turf looking it's best (overlap correctly so as not to streak between passes and also overlap correctly so as to leave a nice stripe, which are basically lighter and darker stripes caused by mowing back and forth which bends the blades of grass over to reflect light off of them making them look lighter and darker). You need to be reliable and responsible. Have to get along with your co workers and boss especially. Have good work ethic (care about what you're doing not doing it cause you have to, but you said you have the bug so you probably already have good ethic) I guess you probably already know all this but just reminding you that it's not like going to Walmart and asking to push carts for them. If you're not atleast 16/don't have a driver license, then you might have a hard time finding someone to hire you. On the other hand some areas I know of will hire about anyone as long as they don't run the mower into a tree or house.
    Good luck finding a job,
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy Carp Batman! A Teenager that wants to work? Too bad you live in Bridgeport. All the teenagers around here would rather sit on their keysters playing Playstation II all summer than get out and earn some money.
  4. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

im 19, been in the business a while. i worked with people off and on since i was bout 13 or 14 and then when i turned 17 i went into partnership with sum kid and that dint work out so i went solo....it's tuff being that young and on top of the fact that im female, clients can be taking risk but sum teen agers will do anything for money. im expanding my business next year and getting a ztr and a bigger trailer...i have about 35-40 yards and there's nothing better...if you work for a huge company it can be tuff...invest into your own business, thats my opinion, and it can maximize your dollar...good luck
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

After reading this response...KOMalley...stay in school, work for someone and learn the tricks of the trade. That way, when the time comes, you can be professional and present yourself on a level equal to, if not greater than, your customer's.
  6. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

DITTO to scraper

Sta n sckool!
    Lern ur readin ritin and rithmatik

:D :blob2:

You need to be as professional as you can be. Learn all you can about lawns, grass, and all plants. Then go out on your own and show the quality of your service.
  7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Commute up to Sturbridge, I will be hiring again this fall and next spring. It would be a haul, and probably not worth the money, but worth the experience at least :)
  8. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

im still in school. im an exercise science major at tennessee...i dont commute that much, just on a few weekends...i have a very close friend who covers for me...all i was saying, if he wants to make more money, go solo with about 5-10 yards...
  9. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

what's so tough about school...
  10. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

It's obvious you haven't gone to college yet. If you do, you'll see it's not as easy as high school. Going to college and having a business at the same time is hard.