1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Teen Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TandM, Mar 11, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Hey guys I just need to ask a couple of questions. I am 15 and get my liscense in a year. I have just bought a truck and it is getting painted and the trailer to match. I bought the truck for 1500 dollars and it has to look good. I need to know if I can legally put signs on my trailer for advertising. I have a really good rep. int these parts of Ga. Most of the yards are between 1 and 5 million dollars. what do I need to get to be a little legal. I have been mowing for 4 years and have 10 clients a tiger cub and shini handhelds.
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've gone through just what you are going through as I'm only 17 and have been mowing since I was 10. Here in michigan there are no laws against having signs on your trucks and trailers and I'm sure that is the same throughout the country. I spent $75 on two magnetic signs to put on my truck and will get signs up on my trailer this year. For you to be legal make sure that you have liability insurance (million dollar policy usually works fine) and pay your taxes on what you make and everything. Good luck with everything.
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you're doing just fine to me ... 10 clients with homes in the $ 1-5 M range !!
  4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

A little legal ? You are either all the way legal or not legal at all Well first thing you need liabilty insurance and at 15 or 16 i dont know if you can get it. Also its not the yards that are worth 1 to 5 mil its the homes .Also be careful mowing around those expensive homes a window could cost you what you make all year on that lawn Iam a s corp and dont do the solo prpship anymore so i cant help you much
  5. TandM

from south

I installed a mulch block on tiger cub no side discharge for me Glad to see you are all scag man chuck bow. I Am thinking about getting a business liscense and look into some liability insurance what are the rates in yalls areas. Thanks for the help will be getting signs for the trailer this week. can't wait for the grass to really get started.
  6. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

it depends on your income. Based on 20,000 dollars in my area it is only 62 dollars per month. Not bad considering if you hit a person in the face with a rock or somehting
  7. njones

njones LawnSite Member

you can get liability insurance at your age your parents insurance will give you a deal
  8. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

I am 16 and I have 1 mil in liability and it is in my name not my parents.

TandM lets see some pictures of the truck.
  9. TandM

from south

Thanks that is not as bad As I thought it would be. I will definately get that asap. I hate it when people tell me they don't want the liability of me doing something on a ladder such as trimming palm trees very high hedges roof cleaning etc. This will help me out. I netted 12 grand last year and grossed 16. Not bad but this year I have my sight set on netting 15 large. So the liability should cover me for that. I also hate it when people give me crap about not being liscensed. At least I am not loballing. I don't drop the gate for under 40 bucks. I do good work And I want to be legal. Thanks for your help.
  10. TandM

from south

How do you upload pics up on here I will get some up here when I can. It is still at the body shop so it will be the old pictures of when I bought it for 1500 bucks. She has a big block 440 in it go mopar!