1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Teen starting up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by texas, Feb 7, 2008.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

hey guys. i am in the process of maybe getting a farmer's drivers license(get it at 15, which i am, if you use it to work on a farm, which my dad is). this being said i will not turn 16 till august but want to start this summer after basketball and track are finished. can someone fill me in on the legal issues(taxes, license, ect.). i have been looking around here and asked around town and have pricing down pack for my area but the legal issues is my question.

ps-i will be using my dad's old farm truck-1999 f250

2. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

I'd like to think you're not lazy. With that said don't be lazy and post something so vague. Spend some time looking through this site to find what you need. Use the search option at the top of the page.
  3. texas

texas LawnSite Member

im not. ill look around a little more.
  4. tsi guy

tsi guy LawnSite Member

the very least have your dad call a insurance company to get liability ins in case you hurt some one or property. My advice is to keep it under the table for as long as you can since your a teen your parents are going to haft to put it all in there name. just my 2 cents
  5. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Just beause your a tean does not mean it all has to be in your parents name nor does it infer liability on them. I am 16 and have had a lawn care business for about 5 years. The first three were under the table but when I first turned fifteen I decided to get licensed and insured. My business license and DBA is in my name, my business checking is in my name, my commercial applicators license is going to be in my name after I pass the test and my liability is currently in my name. My parents are in no way attatched to my business whatsoever...just fyi
  6. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey keep your head up look around on here and dont be scared, you'll do just fine.
  7. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

can't believe i spelled teen wrong...typing too fast but I agree with the above. Just push forward and you'll do fine. This website is a wonderful tool
  8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Eh, a few little clients part time is how a lot of guys start... including me... press on and Read this site
  9. texas

texas LawnSite Member

what could theoretically happen if i just had insurance and no other licenses?
  10. columbia

columbia LawnSite Member

Don't quote me on this but I didn't think you could get insurance without a business license. Business licensing is the easy part though. And just for an examle, lets say you mow someones yard and then don't pay you and owe you like say $500 theres absolutely nothing you can do legally to get that money because you were not a registered business. Id say get the license and then insurance but thats just me.