Teenage Workers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDMowing, Mar 20, 2003.

1. MDMowing

MDMowing LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Do any of you hire teens to work for you? And if so, do you have any luck getting much work out of them?

I have hired several teens in my days of doing this business. I have a few that didn't't want to work, they just wanted the money, then I have had some that could almost outwork me.
    This year I have my 15 yea old cousin assisting me, and a 16 year old that I just hired. They both seem like their ready to take on the world. We'll See!!

:blob3:

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Can a teen under the age of 18 run power equipment such as trimmers and blowers in your state? In Wisconsin you have to be 18 or over to run equipment and for your insurance to cover them should something happen.

As far as them working hard, that's a good question. As discussed here before, we are upon a very lazy society (young and old). Many teens entering the workforce want to start on top rather than earning that level of success. Guess they're in for a long and tough disappointing life!

3. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

When I was younger before my company was a real company, (you know, just two boys putting together a mowing service in the summer to earn some dough) I did hire a couple of teenagers. Now I dont do that anymore though. 18 is the minimum age. And if they dont work hard, I dont care if they are 18 or 50, they are fired! Our work ethic is pretty harsh, only the most dedicated ones make it, and I reward them pretty well.

:cool:

4. MDMowing

MDMowing LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Iowa Law requires 16 years of age to operate powered equipment. :)

5. Cameron Services

Cameron Services LawnSite Member

I'm 17 and have my own business. However I do know what you mean about the lazy factor. All my friends are way to lazy to ever work in this type of industry.

6. lawnmowerman29

lawnmowerman29 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

MDMOWING, I was told by the department of child labor that anyone using a piece of power equipment had to be 18. Unless it is your son, than the laws go by the wayside. I seen a guy on a yard that had his 16 year son applying liquid weed control. I do know you have to be 18 to apply chemical. Do you have proof that you only have to be 16? I would like to see it so i can hire a couple of hard working farm kids.

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm only 16, but I've been doing this stuff for 5 years. There are those teens out there who want o make some dough, but they also want to make customers happy too. Take me for example: When my friends are playing a game of b-ball, I'd prefer to be in the garage over the game ANY day (only cuz i suck at the game.:cry:) I was raised that way. if my dad was in the garage, so was I. and now thats how it always is. So, don't always assume teens JUST want dough. some want to be REAL helpers too.

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I am only 15 and I have also been mowing my own lawns for 5 years.
    This year, I will most likely be working for a landscaper full-time. I have been working on and off part time for the last two years, but this year I feel I am ready to take on a full time job position. I believe that I am built for the work, and usually can hold up to it just as much as teh other guys can.

I usually operate just trimmers and blowers. Last year, I was properly trained to opperate a z and wb. This year, I will probly run some mowers as well.

Any other teens working in the lawn biz?
    :cool:

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

hey austin, what town are you from in connecticut?

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm 15 and as hard working as anyone, love to work especially lawn care stuff and fabricating stuff.

If you want to IM sometime Austin click on my profile it lists my usernames.

Eric