Teenager Forum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Has LS ever considered adding a New Forum for teenagers? No joking or flaming at all here as I really think it could be a good thing for these kids.

Now don't get me wrong I respect these kids on here that are actually working for their money and trying to make something of themselves. But I get tired of hearing about how some 14 year old is in "business" (and giving out business advice) and has been for 5 years when the fact is they are not in business at all because they simply can't be legally. They are just cutting grass for money which is far from being in "business". Kinda like Mac's signature line, "If you are under 18 you aren't in business, you're a Minor". We all know that short of mommy or daddy setting up the license, insurance, bank accounts, state sales tax, Federal EIN and account that these kids don't have any of that and I bet less than 1% on here do that.

I also personally don't have a problem at all trying to help them and give them advise or help but don't really care about how "cool" some truck is, but at 16 I would have. This way everyone would know before they clicked it on that it was teenager forum and go on there by choice and the kids could talk about "business" stuff that is important to them but maybe not to any of us on that forum and then come on the other forums for information from real business owners if they wanted it.

2. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that is a great idea. I to do not have a problem with these younger kids trying to make some money, instead of laying on the couch in front of the t.v.

3. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

I think that is a great idea but to bring up your point I do not want advice really from other kids who don't have the experiance,I really like having older people with lots of knowlage and know how to share some experiences with me or tell me of their opnion . but ya that would be cool to just have a section to ourselves ,and yes my daddy is setting up my LLC, tax i.d. number and such , bank , sorry I 'm trying to do it right!

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I know that's why you could have the best of both worlds for your age group that way.

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

It seems like a good idea, since there seems to be a gap between newer and younger LS members and the older, more experienced ones. I don't think it would have a huge take-off though, because the new young guys are always looking to the experienced ones for advise. 3 years ago (I was 16) I really thought I was "in business" pushin my 21 incher around for money. Looking back, what I had then was nothing compared to what I have now. And i'm sure 5 years from now I'll look back at today thinking the same thing, that what I have today is nothing. We all start somewhere.

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares if a 15 year old thinks he's been in business for 5 years? How many of you experienced guys would visit their forum? Really, what would they learn from each other? I don't like the idea. If a 16 year old gives another 16 year old bad advice, on this forum, chances are somebody with experience will chime in and set it straight. What would happen in the teen forum where nobody with experience will bother to visit?

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

It is not a matter of doing it right ! It is a matter of you being a legitimate business! You are not 18 therefore junior you are not and cannot be a legal business according to the law! Do you have insurance, are you aware that your customers could be liable for you if you get injured in some states? Are you aware that if your business is in daddy's name then he could be subject to fines for violation of child labor laws regarding equipment operation under labor and industry laws depending on the state. Also junior if you spend a little more time at school you would know how to use spell check or spell !
    I am not bashing you or telling you that you can't mow lawns, I am telling you that you cannot be a legal business at your age and you need to look at all aspects of the business! Do you have friends help you? If you do you could opening up your dad to lawsuits regarding child labor if there ever was an accident! All I am saying is that you need to realize that you are not an adult and you cannot operate a business at your age, legaly.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

ok, MM. When teenagers (including myself) come to this forum, we don't know anything about the lawn business. When I first found this forum, I honestly laughed, told my dad, "hey, look at this. There is even a forum for cutting the grass. What is there possibly to talk about?" I never knew there is a legal aspect to cutting the grass and neither does any one of us until we LEARN that there is. If you look at my post history, you will see that I registered here and didn't post anything for 1 month, reading the information. I made some posts and took a break, learning more, reading the achieves for yet another month.

Your "Teenager" forum will not go anywhere. Are we supposed to sit down and try to learn from each other when all of us don't know anything? You simply want us out of here. You say that you have no problem giving advice to us, in reality you do. You flamed me for putting 5 years in the "Business" box because I simply thought that I am in business when I am cutting grass. You sure put a fire cracker under my ass with the comments. And you will see now, I have put the "Years in business" to 0 and I will for a remainder of my stay at lawnsite. You have not posted any information in my posts that has benefited me, except comments that are not needed, such as "you posted this in the wrong forum" when I got my new toro.

Everybody starts somewhere and we need to learn just like the rest of people in this world. I think I shall sit back on the posting button and go reading again.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i like the idea. they could have smilies with bugs bunny, and micky mouse. and the teen lawnsite giveaway could be milk and cookies

10. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this was a really good site when I first found it and there is some pretty good stuff on here, but the more I read the more I realized that there are alot of kids on here bragging about how much equipment they have and so on, well my daddy never helped me out when I started out at 21 yrs. old. I took on every job that came along I worked weekends or whatever it took just so me and my wife could make ends meet, we paid rent by the week because I would collect as soon as the job was done there was no way I could bill out monthly. I had nobody supporting me. I can tell you I struggled all the way to where I'm at now. I haven't had to run a route in over 7 yrs. and damn proud of it I can stand back and say I built this company with my own two hands. So to get on here and see these kids bragging when they are not old enough to own a business. really chaps my A$$!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.