1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

teflon under decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgreanbean, Mar 29, 2001.

1. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

you know how grass gets stuck under decks right! is there any type of teflon coating you can get to reduce or prevent this?
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Teflon that was hard -LOL
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I did a lot of research into this a couple of years ago. Just as kutnkru says Teflon is too soft and would wear away within a few days to a few weeks. And that is if you can find someone who will apply it. I approached a large company in NJ that does a lot of frying pans etc. and they wouldn't even give me the time of day on the matter.

I did find a guy who had it in paint form but you had to mix at least a quart at a time at $50.00 a quart.

The person who comes up a <i>hard</i> non-stick coating will be very rich indeed.
  4. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

thanks kutnkru! i know its teflon! but i mean a way to apply it so i does not come off!
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

You seem to have put some time into this.
    Did you ever see anyone with the clean off swivals
    like in a cake pan.If it was a problem for me I
    believe I could get somthing like that to work.
  6. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I've heard of a tough Epoxy paint. Any one know of this or maybe tried some of it under the deck? I would like to find out about this paint myself. If it is anything like the Epoxy glues, it sould be tough as Iron and end up with a smooth surface when hard.

We have what they call poly slides to go on the bottom of things that slide on the ground (on our farm equipment). It is molded sheets of tough plastic usually 3/16" thick, but you can buy it in sheets varying in thickness.

I don't know if this would do what you are wanting to do either.
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I remember a post about slipcoat . Is that right?

Powder coating would work well but is impractical due to the since and weight of the decks.

What about a polyurethane based paint ? It's hard...It's smooth.

8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Last season I started using something called Slip-Plate. My Father-in-Law uses it on his grain wagons and on his mower deck. This stuff is SUPER SLICK. It can be purchased at your local John Deere dealer. Hope this helps.
  9. jeffyr

That's what I was talking about.
    Is it a spray that coats or a paint ?
    What is the cost ?

10. jeffyr