1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Telehandler may be the way to go...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Apr 9, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Manitou and gehl spec out identically so I think they are "rebranded" but I don't know who is doing the rebranding. My Deere dealer is also a Terex dealer, but I like the compact size of the machine Squizzy turned me on to, which is the:

MLT 627

Compare it to this machine by Gehl and let me know if you think it is the same machine...

CT6-18 Low Profile
  2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

You are correct, those two models are the same. (Manitou bought $19million worth of Gehl stock as well.)

I was thinking the larger machines; my bad.

I need to get homework done! grr
  3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Manitou lifts are popular here. I have never heard any one complain about one. It has to make more sense than a skid steer. I can't really see the purpose of a home builder buying two skid steers unless you do a lot of site prep. A backhoe or telehandler seem to make much more sense to me. I think it is important to have and maintain a sense of focus concerning equipment purchases. I have been guilty myself of confusing the issue with things I would like and what I need. Your "need" should drive your equipment purchase, not your "desire" to have a piece of equipment and then find a reason for having it. Buying a skid steer to make life easier on a CTL for a home builder doesn't add up to me. Considering the money it would take to buy that second skid steer you could buy a lot of undercarriage work. Unless as I said you have enough dirt work to justify two machines. I am not trying to offend anyone, these are just my observations and opinions based on past threads.:drinkup:
  4. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Damn! I am offended sir! Just kidding!

When you are right you are right. I was caught up in wanting the biggest beast of a machine just because I "could" buy it. After enough of you shared your opinions, I saw the error of my ways. Once again, this site has helped me in immeasurable ways. Now comes the next difficult challenge...getting the most bang for my buck in the telehandler department... I'll let you guys know which way i am heading and solicit opinions as I go.