Telemarketed Shovels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the thread we had back awhile ago that Ray (Kirby) had wondering the outfit that telemarketed rakes? Well, I just had a guy call me tonight doing the same thing with SHOVELS. This guy was a real weirdo, and he tried coming off like he knew me! He said the last time he saw me, I was knee deep in mud. Yeah, right! This guy was carrying a pitch like you wouldn't believe, and wanted to send me a box of shovels for a mere $18.95 apiece. I ended up hanging up on him, because he wouldn't shut up, but he did say that he was from some "equipment supply" co. (which made me think about the rakes) I asked him if they deal in rakes, and he said he didn't know anything about rakes right now, but he had alot of shovels to get rid of. He also said he was out of Arizona, which could be the truth, but then it could be a lie. They can SEND the things out of anywhere. Anyway, like I said, this guy was a real weirdo.:rolleyes:

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

RUN, AND DON"T LOOK BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Runner, Hopefully you will not be receiving a big box in the next couple of days. It could have been a deal but I don't believe so. Telemarketing jobs do attach some "different" individuals.

Gravely_Man

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i can't figure out why they would market something as simple as shovels:confused:

6. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

If this is same guy that calls me, they sell it all.

He is from Arizona and is really weird, always calls me by my first name and jokes with me like he's my lost brother.

His name is Troy........and always has you try to guess his name when he calls...........JERK.

The past few times he has called he wants to sell shovels, extension cords, drill bits, you name it.....

Stuff sounds like China junk at premium prices.

I think he is an independent salesman, but when he calls me he says he is from Cal-Pacific.

I've called them and they don't how to reach him. I don't think I believe that, but that's what they say.

The best thing that I have found is to say no twice and then tell him, "I don't need anything. Bye" A couple times he calls right back and says something smart. I don't know what to do about that other than call-block.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

He won't be calling me. Here in Texas, the State has a "no call" list you can get on. I signed up when it was started in about June on this year. We went from about 10-12 telemarketing calls/day to about 1 call every three or 4 days. I think only political campaigns and some charitys are exempt. There are very high fines for companies who violate the "no call" list law.:D