Telephone land line

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by larryinalabama, Aug 31, 2011.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Is there any reason to keep a land line telephone for a solo operator? How many of you fellers are just using your cell phones.
    Just looking to cut business as well as personal expenses

2. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

me and my wife just have cell phones. land lines are a wast of money

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

5 cell phones in my house. No land lines.

4. Rednekdaddy

Rednekdaddy LawnSite Member

Things suck around here! To get Internet access through our local phone company (only service available) you must have a land line!!

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Outside of Bloomington/Normal, Danvers, where I live, cell phone service is horrible. So we've always had a land-line for the biz to make sure to receive all my calls and such.

Luckily a company is finally putting a cell tower on the edge of town, so I might switch my land-line number over to a cell phone and axe the land-line.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, unfortunately many years ago I used to think that I didn't need a landline anymore either,
    but today the unfortunate answer is yes, you still need it.

And the reason is that if you ever need to call one of these 1-800-support places
    such as your Internet or cellular or cable service provider or perhaps the electric company
    or who the hell knows why you'd have to call such a place, but believe me the day will come...
    And...
    The reason you still need a landline is because cellular telephones can't always hold a charge LONG enough for some of the HOLD times.
    The day will come, they put you on hold for hours, and I mean 2, 4, 6, I've been on the phone for 8 hours with a company before, one call.
    Granted they don't always put us on hold but sometimes they play the circle jerk game by "transferring" the call to...
    As they so nicely put it "elevating this problem to the next level" which in truth means transferring you to the next representative in line,
    games like these can literally go on forever, folks working with these companies... They so don't care to the point that their physical offices
    have bulletproof glass surrounding the receptionist so one way or another if you want your problem fixed, you may still need a land line.
    Because the cellular just doesn't have that eternal phone call ability.
    And if it drops the call TWO hours into it, you may have to start ALL over.
    After the phone's charged back up.

Not to mention it sure is nice putting those calls on speaker phone while on hold.
    With today's triple play, it's hardly $10 a month more.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. larryinalabama

Used to be that way here, however technoligy eventually reaches us rednecks. I have the new verizon wireless, the "hot spot " is the size of a cell phone.

8. larryinalabama

Thats funny, however if customer nonservice ever picks up is some jack......well someone from India who dont really care about your problem anyway, that is unless you can give him the 3 digets on the back of your credit card.

9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you live in the sticks, you probably still need a landline. Otherwise, what's the point? It's a waste of money!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Put cell on charger....speaker phone...but do you have enough minutes.

My worst all day bounce back and forth from.tech support to billing was with Verizon land.line now frontier. Just cell phones and vonage here.
    Posted via Mobile Device