Telephone options for biz . . . Vonage?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard a fair amount of negative technical issue with Vonage. Some local ISP companies hamper the use of this service for many reasons etc. What I like about using Vonage is that I can keep the same phone number no matter where I move to even if I move out of my county. I'm currently in a rental and could end up moving this year or 2 years from now. I don't want to have to change the biz phone number on my truck and trailer signage, biz cards etc. I prefer the use of just one number and the option of call forwarding to my cell when I'm not home.

The other option was to get a separate cell phone with a recognized local prefix but . . . . all the cell providers have very spotty service here? So this is NOT an option. When ever I receive a call on my cell at home it's "can you hear me now".

Any input on Vonage?

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have Vonage for my office line and I don't have one complaint. I also have heard some bad things about them, but I decided to give them a shot and am very happy that I did. Any other questions, let me know.

3. Exact Rototilling

Dropped calls during peak internet traffic is NOT an option. A fair amount of my one time customers are from ads in the local service paper and a missed or dropped call is not acceptable to me.

:waving:

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

No, I hear that. Like I said I haven't had a problem. Thats not to say that I just got lucky. I'm thinking it depends on your area. For instance, I have Comcast internet and I love it. I told my parents to try it, so they got the Comcast internet, tv, and phone and they've had a lot of problems. Do you know anyone in your area that has it?

5. Exact Rototilling

My local cable internet provider is Time Warner and they will NOT allow me to forward the number if I move. I'm thinking the VOIP issues are probably spotty, however I chew up quite bit of bandwidth with my other home business 2 days out of the week and if my biz phone drops calls or crashes it would be major disaster. I was told that the Time Warner VOIP use a different spectrum of bandwidth and doesn't compete with internet traffic.

Last spring I missed out on at least 5 known calls for Rototilling because I wasn't home and they were too lazy to call my cell number, and they ended up calling someone else literally within minutes. I has been my experience that many older people don't like to leave messages. When I happened to called back the competetion was already there tilling. :cry: In fact a few of my customers where tired of calling the competition and leaving messages so they called me instead. payup

My cell phone is set to vibrate so I never miss calls.

The other option is to post a question on the local craigslist rants & raves :rolleyes: and see if what type of feedback Vonage user have with my ISP.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I used to install VOIP service for the local cable company. I think it is crap.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

What he said........

However when we move to a 10 digit octet it will improve everything,

and as I recall it should be in a couple of years...

about the same time the other 2 internets are avaliable to the public

8. pixr99

pixr99 LawnSite Member

I can't tell you how well your local ISP's network is engineered but I *can* tell you that your own Internet usage doesn't have to affect VoIP call quality.

Any competent network technician should be able to configure your home router with what's known as "Quality of Service" or simply "QoS." This is also sometimes known as traffic shaping. The idea is to allow as much bandwidth as possible for all uses while reserving enough to ensure that voice quality is never diminished.

My hunch is that the big guys (like Vonage) are going to ship you a router that is already configured to give priority to your voice traffic. Just stick all your devices behind that router and you're golden.

9. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have vonage, my ISP is Metrocast which is horrible. they have a 550mhz cable system that is way out of date. Yes I do have some issues but it's because of there service. I work for Cox communications (ISP) and we don't have any issues with our residential Voip accounts. Most of the issues that we have is on the commercial side and it's their setup that causes it. It takes a lot of bandwidth to transmit voice packets so make sure your provider has a good system. Some systems have a horrible mix high traffic with low bandwidth which will result in packet loss (slow speeds/voice cutting out/dropping calls) if you ISP offers Voip or digital phone you should be alright!

10. Exact Rototilling

Is there a digital delay with VOIP like there is with a cell phone? Better or worse?

Still investigating my choices.