telephone pole signs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of putting up some 18" x 24" vinyl signs in my neigbor hood offering lawn service, have you guys had any lugk with these I can get 25 for $200.00 with my logo on it.

thanks

Rich

2. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Rich, that's a bad idea. I mean, good idea in concept, but the local ordinance can and will bust you if you are a repeat offender. You can get away with it for a short while perhaps, but when they pull them, your name might start to stick in their head. I actually called up the local police station and they directed me to the someone that deals with the local ordinance. They said that's a no, no.

I've actually thought about doing it while I was looking into real estate investing. But, i decided against it. I still see a few around here where I'm at, but they don't stay up long. Anyone has the legal right to pull them down.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The only way I advertised with fliers for a long time was with telephone poles. Both smaller and larger signs on the poles. Smaller for the neighborhoods, larger for big intersections. It worked well enough for us for the first few years, and it was much easier than door to door fliering.

However, Ann Arbor is extremely lax on any laws regarding poles. All the students at UM use poles for parties and concert announcements. You can find any number of missing cat or dog fliers on there, and several other kinds of businesses use them as well. No one ever gets busted, and I've never had a call from the police about it.

I don't do it anymore because I've moved to other advertising methods.

Another way I've been advertising lately though is road signs. That too isn't exactly legal, but in the township areas they never fine anyone, just pull the signs. It was a major factor in gaining work last fall for aeration, and I ordered more for this spring for mowing. Coroplast, 18 by 24 sized. I put them on wire stakes and place them at intersections and near stores, busy areas, highway exit ramps, etc.

I bought mine from http://www.witnessdesigns.com . Good service, cheap prices.

:D

4. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

There didn't seem to be a problem using Coroplast signs in our city until last year. I guess City council had extra time to start picking on people doing this. Now we can only put them on current customer's lawns if they let us. (we usually give a small discount to them). Funny thing is that at election time we see the signs everywhere and nobody says anything. They were charging people with fines last year for advertising businesses.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I used to sell fresh cut Gladious flowers. I actually bolted a steel bracket to the hydro ploes and hung 5 gal pails full of flowers off them. Everyone said they were a real good idea and a real eye catcher. The local power company wasn't real impressed and said I could have been charged the cost to replace the hydro poles because I made holes in them. I did this to 5 poles each side of our driveway.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's not just local ordinance, but here in Michigan, it's against state law. It in the State of Michigan Vehicle Code book. It states that no traffic device can be altered and/or amended without prior authorization from county and state government (meaning it woud have to be passed through the government).

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was just about to say along the lines of the same thing Runner

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you guys , a bunch of SCRUBS?. Show some class and not put up signs on power poles. Leave that to the garage sales.

9. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

i just dont like people who use telephone poles to put signs up besides being against the law in indiana i hate it when they alway drop the nails ect then leave them there then the mower tires always finds them

10. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

hmmmm...i've heard tell that some folks remove these signs when they see them.