Tell customers you hourly rate?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Nov 7, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my possible customers ask me my hourly rate through e-mail. when I call them I have a feeling they will ask again.
    When they ask, do you tell them your hourly rate? Im affraid it will scare them away. I charge $75.00 an hour for cleaning,trimming, bulching flower beds. If its an hour and a half, I round up to the second hour.
  2. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

Tell 'em u charge by the size & difficulty of the yards.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You cant round up if its a half hour, thats kinda stealing. I could see if it was 10-15 minutes but a half hour is a big gap in time IMO. If they ask I tell them! I also tell them we have the man power and equipment to get the job done better and faster. I got a call from a lady last week for a fall clean up, She asked what we charge per hour and I told her, she said thats a lot. I said well I could stand out there all day with a rake and charge you 20 bucks an hour and by the time we were done you would be paying more. She understood that the equipment we use is not cheap and I can not charge 20/hr. Point is after I explained a few things she was ok with it. On another note, I would call them or explain to them in person or over the phone instead of via internet
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I try to not discuss hourly rates. Just give them a price for the job, and describe it as a competitive bid. The only time I will discuss hourly is with a professional buyer, like a property manager or something like that.
  5. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Why do they need to know your hourly rate? Unless you are pricing out something for them hourly, it doesn't add up. $75 is a little high to be rounding up on time. I would never give my hourly rate to the customer. They will have a written estimate with a price that they will accept, bargain with, or decline. When they ask what my hourly rate is, I tell them that there are too many variables and expenses included to break it down to an hourly rate. If they still insist, they aren't a customer that I want. Customers like this have never worked out for me in the long run.
  6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

$150.00 is to much for 1.5-2 hours of on your knees pulling weeds?
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ok understand this. You are a business owner providing a service. Only employees work for an hourly rate. This is what customers do not get. If you quote a by the hour figure they will feel you are cheating them and will be over your shoulder every minute. You have overhead and taxes to pay they do not get this. They will always try to compare you to what they make themselves. Bid the job and stand firm, remember it is a job they do not want to do. Make sure you do a thorough job and give them nothing to complain about later. Do not let customers dictate how you run YOUR business. Good luck!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you are is worth about $9/hr.
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

perfectly said, my thoughts exactly
  10. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

If you put it like that......yes. If you say that you are weeding 4 large flower beds for $150, it would sound more acceptable.