Tell me about Lawn Boy mowers......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowingNewbie, May 5, 2007.

1. LawnMowingNewbie

LawnMowingNewbie LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi,
    I am starting a lawn-mowing business for the spring/summer. I have done some advertising and have a few clients lined up for next week.

My budget only allows for me to buy a consumer push-mower but this should be okay as I will only be doing at tops 25-30 cuts per week and I am only doing small-to-medium sized residential lawns.

The local Home Depot has a Lawn Boy 6.5HP rear-bagging pushmower on sale for $350.00. The reason I am looking at Lawnboy is that I have read that for the $$, it has a great mulching capability. Three of my clients only want their grassed mulched - not bagged, etc., so now I have made mulching my selling point.

I understand that buying commerical equipment is the ideal way to go; however, I simply cannot afford it right now and I am only doing this part-time.

Any helpful advice on Toro's Lawnboy line would be greatly appreciated.

My friend did 60 cuts a week with a consumer model lawn-mower, and it was not a problem.
    thanks in advance,
    LawnMowingNewbie

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that.

3. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

60 cuts a week with a push mower???!!! You would think if he had that amount of business he could atleast buy a used commmercial mower. it would take forever just to mow one yard with a push mower plus trim and blow. sure would earn the money though.

4. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i don't know much about lawn boy mowers....

but i do know that i also use a homeowner 21"...

i use a Cub Cadet SRC-621...its a 6.75 ohv B&S engine...it has caster wheels so it turns just like a zero...i happen to love it...i used a troy-bilt before this one and i hated it...so far i've replaced the cheapo hardware all around on the cubby and its tough as nails...i sharpen the blade weekly at home and change the oil bi-weekly and the spark plug monthly...

hope this helps

5. LawnMowingNewbie

from Ontario

Just to respond to a few comments.

"60 cuts a week with a push mower???!!! You would think if he had that amount of business he could atleast buy a used commmercial mower."

Actually I don't think I stated this number - I said 25-30 cuts a week. That is not what I currently have, it is what I hope, through word-of-mouth, and flyers, to attain. I am also steering clear of big lots and focusing on smaller to medium lawns. I simply do not have money to by a commericial right now. There is no other option, that is why I am seeking advice on Lawnboy, as it is made by Toro 9whom several have suggested to me) and it is on sale!

I am also want to use a push mower to get in-shape, and have alloted 60 min. per lawn for a cut/mulch and edging. All smaller to medium lawns.

"but i do know that i also use a homeowner 21"..."

It is good to know that someone else is using a homeowner model! Thanks for your advice. Poin taken about maintenance, etc.

"Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that."

Anyone heard this about Lawn Boy equipment? I thought they were a reliable brand.

6. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

Had the same problem with mine... I gave it away:hammerhead:

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

i wished you would have given it to us. 9 years in biz, and it's the only brand we've ever used (in 21 inch that is). we liked them so much that we bought 6 of them, the last the dealer had, so we could have them since the kind we use aren't being made anymore. if we see a used one that a homeowner is selling, we snag it up. they are good mowers for how we use them.

8. LawnMowingNewbie

from Ontario

"they are good mowers for how we use them."

1MajorTom - how do you use them?

9. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

I'll go snag it back and give it to you:cool2:

10. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

If your doing 25-30 cuts per week say at 30-35 dollars avg thats an avg gross of 750.00 per week. Say minus your overhead : gas, and im guessing your working out of your home with no trailer and no insurance. So say your gas cost is 50.00 a week youll still gross 700.00 x 4 weeks =2800. Why not buy a 36in. W/B and a small trailer? You can buy a decent commercial mower for 2-3k For a little down and a small monthly payment. I pay 88.00 a mth for a bobcat for 24 mths on a 0% loan. With the larger mower youll work Quicker and it will last you a heck of a lot longer that that lawnjockey will. Thats just my line of thought. Run the numbers and think about it GOOD LUCK:usflag: