Tell me about Lawn Boy mowers......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowingNewbie, May 5, 2007.

1. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You haven't done anything to me to deserve that.:laugh:

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We do properties that sometimes don't have access, like in the back. Only thing to use would be a 21. We use them around pools, or other postage stamp lawns where it is just easier to use the 21. We are not using a 21 on a 10,000 sq ft lawn, just smaller stuff.
    Something like this.

IMG_2496.JPG

3. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a 10-15 year old Lawn Boy Gold Series... only brand I've ever run, love it to death. Not looking forward to the day it finally quits on me. Not sure what I'd get if I had to buy a new one today...

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

After spending this morning getting my green pile running (shouldn't have taken that long, but I put the carb float in there the wrong way:angry: ) I can honestly tell you this about Lawn Boys. If, and this is a pretty huge if:I was required, as in there was not a single mower manufacturer left on the planet, I would buy a lawn boy like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAWN-BOY-Push-M...7QQihZ004QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. CollegeCash

CollegeCash LawnSite Member

It is the 2 cycle Lawn Boys that were supposed to be really good. You can get an older one on ebay and have it delivered to your house for about the same price as that Home Cheapo Lawn Boy with a crappy (From what I've heard) engine on it.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a 2-stroke lawnboy, about 4 or 5 years old, love it. Never had one problem with it.

You'd better rethink 25-30 yards a week with a push mower. If you're also trimming and blowing, you're not going to be very productive, and you are going to get physically worn out and fast.

7. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I had one that ran great and gave very few problems; and it looked like it was already fairly old when I bought it. If you could find an old 2 cycle lawn boy I would reccomend it; I'm not sure about the new 4 cycle ones.

Kevin

8. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

2-stroke LB I have is great. 4 yrs old. only fix has been cables. great mulcher! rear bagger sucked. but i don't bag anymore. oops! forgot new ignition module this year. don't know anything about 4stroker LB's

9. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Man if I had a nickel for every time I posted this. I asked the same question you did a few months ago and reluctantly took everyone's advice. So I found a 36" Ransomes walk behind on craigslist from a small engine repairman in my area. I paid 400 dollars for that thing. Sure it's twenty years old but it will cut twice as much, if not more grass, than any homeowner 21 inch that you can buy, it cuts better, and it will last longer than any homeowner 21 inch that you can buy. It's a perfect starter mower. It fits through gates and it's quick for small lawns. I would do some research. GL

10. LawnMowingNewbie

LawnMowingNewbie LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

...much appreciated.

Well let me put this in context, I am only running a lawn-cutting business for this summer and at the very most next summer!
    So I just need a machine that'll be good for cutting for 2 seasons. I will most likely only be cutting 15 lawns (small to medium) a week - getting customers that won't nickel-and-dime me is really tough. Just had one lady ask me to do an overgrown large lawn for $15. lol

The Lawnboy is within my budget, 6.5 HP with good mulch. There is also a Toro push mower no bagger, 190cc on sale for $479.00.

Remember I am not a longterm professional, but I want to keep my customers happy and do quality work.