Tell me about stand ons.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We were just awarded new contacts for brand new town homes and condos,we didn't do the install, we were just awarded the maintenance contract .If the observations I have concluded about stand on mowers are correct,they would be good on these account's. I have been noticing many stand on type Z-turns around the area.One conclusion I have made is, these machines take up much less space on a trailer, then a full sized Z-Turn. Observing wright's and Danes around the area, it appears as if two stand on's could fit in the trailer space of one Z-Turn,they look very compact on the trailers I've seen them on.

You fellows who own Wright, Dane or any of the stand on Z-Turns, what kind of operating learning curve was there for you're employees, or yourself to use these type mowers. Are there any major maintenance issues with stand on's that you don't have with a ride on Z-Turn.What kind of cut do they deliver, and are they prone to any kind of scalping. Any and all observations would be most welcome.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I just bought a new JD 48" stander this Spring. Wasn't much of a learning curve for me. If you are efficient at running a sit down z-turn, you will take to the stander with no problem. No major differences in maintenance than your normal z turn. The only thing I found is the oil filter is touhger to get at on the JDs but really no difficult. Trimability is superior to the sit down zs cause they are so short and can get in tighter places. I'm not impressed with mine on hills though, my 757's are better for that. As far as scalping not been a problem for me but mine is a 48" floating deck so that may be the reason, leaves a wonderful cut. I load mine sideways on a 7x18' trailer, no problems getting it sideways either, along with 2 757's.
  3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

good questions that I need some answers on as well. congrats on the new accounts Bill. You must have done two tours? (Sgt.-Marines) I did one, but still follow the brotherhood very closely. Semper Fi!
  4. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

taggin along, since Im considering picking up one as well. No experience with them, but I've noticed a number of LCO's using them. Compactability is nice, im interested in speed, and ease of use on various terrains.
  5. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I've run a 52" Scag Hydro with a velke for several years.Doing quick U-turns takes a little getting used to but other than that it's about the same as a z. As far as cut goes,I think it's much better.
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try to get a demo for a week. I know of a LCO who bought a Wright Stander and quit using it after a week. He bought a Scag ZTR to replace the Stander. Something about problems around his ankles.

Might work for some but not others. I would think it could bother you knees after a few years with all the bouncing around putting pressure on your knees.
  7. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I have had the 32" stander 1 1/2 years, and all I can say is WOW.

In my area, we have small gates so that 36" and above are only useful for commercial and larger properties. I used to use two 21"s and 3 people and the most that we'd do in a day is around 22 or so and were dead tired at the end of the day. The next year I got a 32" great dane "champ" single hydro, and ran a 2 person crew doing 20/ day. Third year, I got a 32" belt drive encore and did around 26/day with a 2 person crew. Now, for the past 1.5 yrs I've used the stander and avg 37.5 lawns/day with 2 people. We have done 47 in a 13 hr day here (that's our record). Mind you, this is all the same route year in, and year out.
    I LOVE the stander. There is a learning curve though if the properties are small with many obstacles. The operator will need to be efficient at riding wheelies and such. There are several tricks to getting it to operate on your type of lawns. I've learned in my area it is good to run the tires kind of low so there is better traction and less rutting it wet areas. Also, when the dealer is setting up the machine, the rear needs to be in the highest setting, the blades dropped as low as possible, and adjust the front castors to your desired cutting length. Also, if you decide to get the stander....forget getting the mulch sucks.
    I am kind of concerned about letting others mow with it though. I am going to try the "justmowit" approach next year with 2 people crews and the stander. I was concerned until I thought it over and decided that I'm going to have to delgate and trust in order to create the business that I want for myself. "Trust" being the main word. I know you have plenty more experience than I in that manner 6'7 330. I figure if I trust them with everything else, then I'm going to have to trust that they learn the mower as I have learned it. Maybe you can give me advice on getting/keeping a good foreman..?? :)

Compensating one good employee with that sort of efficiency is still cheaper than 2 employees with two 21"s....that's the way I figure anyway. I guess I'll see next year.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running 52" Wright Standers since 2001 and have been very happy. My foreman had experience on the stand-on, so he was off to the races to begin with. My other men picked it up pretty quickly as well. With some experience, your operators will learn how to minimize scalping and tearing when making turns. I don't think there is any more of a scalping problem than with the walk behinds (never owned a rider). Cut quality is very good IMO.
    I have a great dealer who usually will make repairs while we wait, not that there are many. I actually have had more problems with the Kawasaki motors than with the machines themselves. I would recommend the Wright.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We replaced a 36" Snapper hydro with the Wright Sentar Sport with the rapid height adjustment. We do small yards and so far it is a great little machine. It has a seat you can sit onif you want. It has the 17HP two cyclinder Kaw. It is touchy on hydro but our unit has real wide wheel but you have to watch cutting up turf. If you are tall the controls are a little low when standing but not bad. The machine seem durable, but no grease certs on any of the deck hinge points. I have an upgrade kit at the dealer related to the deck so don't know what is it. So far we think it is the most productive unit we bought. The blade sits even with the bottom of the deck and that makes it easy to scalp but we aren't cutting any low grasses.The customer support has been good.
  10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You aren't supposed to lock your knees on a stander.