1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about the JD mowers - southern guy here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Nov 2, 2007.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning on getting a new mower next season and I am trying to get the BEST cutting mower with features I want.

I've been looking mainly at Exmark Ultracut and SCAG. I've recently learned that there will be a new JD dealer in my area and have been looking at them also. I saw the pictures of the new Zero turn JD mower and really like what I see. The JD dealer is known for great service at their other locations and have a free zero down time program that covers the mower as long as I own it if it cannot be fixed/ repaired within one hour.

I like the deck wheel mounting of the JD, like the new foot brake, higher speed, etc.

Just not sure about the cut. I cut Bermuda and Fescue, and my current mower does not do well with Fescue cut at 3" or higher.

I'd like to hear form guys using this mower on how it performs cut wise. I want something that gives an EXCELLENT cut, leaves none to few stringers, and performs well.

Thank You
  2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I run Scags and have had very good luck. The volocity deck cuts real nice, and they have been very reliable. I guess I haven't seen the new john deers your speaking of. I did demo the 757,(ok but not a scag) and the 997, (nice but a little too big).
  3. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

The 7 IRON II is one of the top cutting decks out there. It will not leave any stringers or uncut grass and it does not care what type of grass. The grass dispersion is excellent. It spreads it far and very wide. Almost every post I have read which mentions the cut everyone states the same thing.

I have not tried a Scag yet and there are not that many in this area but their deck is similar to JD and should perform as well.

There is a very good thread about XR7, 7IRON II and the velocity deck here:

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well firescooby just try to find a negative post on the John Deere 7 Iron II. That should answer your question. Long clippings are the only complaint I've heard.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to have to jump in here with just a slight disagreement.

I have a 717A I purchased this summer. Cutting tall-fescue at a fairly high cut (example 4") is not very impressive. Uncut strips are rediculous at times. But I think the problem is the low blade tip speed. It's only in the 16,500 range compared to 18,000+ for the larger deck sizes and other models. Discharge is excellent and the deck stays extremely clean underneath compared to my poor performing Hustler decks. It really shines in wet grass compared to others as well.

If I had to guess though (getting back to your original question), I would "guess" the 7-Iron II would probably do pretty well with lower cutting warm-season turf. If I could go back and change my choice, I would have bought a 727 instead. Higher tip speed, higher hp, larger deck, but still the compact frame. Of course, 737s and higher are in a whole different class.
  6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You can't go wrong with a JD.
  7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

no problem here with my 717A.you cant beat the John Deere 7 Iron II,i have the full mulch kit and its great.
  8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Cutting the grass at 4" is probably why you are seeing stringers. I notice thet when I am cutting grass at higher heights to gradually to catch up on the lawns, like after a rain or something. You will see a little string here our there, pending speed. But when I cut at 3"-3.5" never any stringers, even when I dont get the blades changed out and the blade is got a dull edge.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys...exactly what I was looking for.

Keep 'em coming