Tell me about your best customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastProLawn, Jun 26, 2004.

1. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that some of you are probably lucky like me and have some very good customers, but let me hear about your very best customer or your favorite customer. My best is this young couple who are the classiest people I have ever met.

1) Pay on time in full every time ( no matter how high )
    2) Offer us something to drink each and every time we're there.
    3) Gives us plenty of work through out the entire year
    4) Never, and I mean never complain.
    5) Tip us on a regualr basis.
    6) Often give us freebies ( gift cert. to the Home Depot etc. )
    7) She's very easy on the eyes and he's not the jealous type.

I could go on, but let's hear about your best customer.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

You got me beat. My best is #'s 1-4. The rest are just "customers".

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

#1 #4 and i love them christmas gifts in the mail like a gift card

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

my bestcustomer has gotten me 11 more accounts

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My best client and I have never actually met. She is a single mid 20's girl that leases a very nice duplex out in the country. She pays on time and has gotten me quite a few great accounts. Everyone who knows her says she is the sweetest girl they had ever met. They laugh when I tell them I have no clue what she looks like. I have really only spoken to her on the phone twice in the past two years.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have one of the coolest customers. The guy has more money than he knows what to do with. Ex. 2 corvettes, ford lighting, Plymouth prowler, land rover SUV, Jaguar 8Xk, 1.1 million dollar house, golf cart, Kubota B7500 tractor (his lawn mower), hot tub, putting green, a huge wine cellar, etc.

1) Pay on time in full every time ( no matter how high )
    In cash or check when I finish. (he is home 4 or 5 days a week)

2) Offer us something to drink each and every time we're there.
    Knows I am not 21, so always offers bottled root beer or bottle water or an orange (he gets a box of them every week)

3) Gives us plenty of work through out the entire year
    I swear I barely finish one project and I am on another. Everything from maintain on his equipment(His tractors, lawn mower, etc), sod, stone, dirt, mulch, trees, etc. I spend on average 1/2 to 1 day per week there or his house in the mountains or his sons house up the street.

4) Never, and I mean never complain.
    Only about the price in a joking tone of voice. That I never show up on time(even if I am only 1 min late), again in a joking voice. He is glad that I showed up and the work is getting done. (He has gone throught 7 guys in two years, ethier couldn't keep up with the work load, never showed up, complained about him to other customers (he hates that),etc.)

5) Tip us on a regular basis.
    $75 cash tip the last time I was there.

6) Often give us freebies ( gift cert. to the Home Depot etc. )
    Gave me a 5x8 heavy duty trailer two weeks ago after he bought the ford Lighting. He claimed he had a truck now so he didn't need it anymore.

7) She's very easy on the eyes and he's not the jealous type.
    She left, he is looking for a replacement.

8) other
    Lets me borrow stuff (has a set of clip on forks and tooth bar I borrow since we have the same kubota tractor. Also the tractor once when mine broke)

Other wise I have 3 more best costumers. Most of this list applies to them. I do ever thing for them, just not to this extent I do for this guy. Then the rest are customers or PITA(there is only 1)

7. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

My Best Customer is a fella named Dave. Dave had someone else taking care of him, found out I wanted the work, and called the other guy and had him yank his gear. Thats customer loyalty. What Dave wants, Dave gets.

8. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have numbers like that, but my best account is taking care of unpurchased lots in a neighborhood that is less than a mile from my house. The homeowner's association pays me $130 to mow the first 15 feet of the lot off of the road for about 9 lots (3 sets of 3 so I only have to make 3 different stops). It takes me about 50 minutes to leave my house, cut them all (mow, trim, edge, & blow), and get back to my house. What is that, $140ish an hour? Lol...

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

79 year old lady. Although she's anything but easy on the eyes, she pays on time every week, and always has great things to say about the yard when i'm done. I usually grab her newspaper out of the box before I knock on here door so she doesn't have to go out in the heat. She always offers something to drink and makes me sit and rest in the AC before i go. I have not raised the price of this account and I'm sure I should and could...but i won't. She was one of my first. Not real rich in money, but real rich in other ways.

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

My best clients are commercial. One is a chain department store. I do everything for them: mow, fert, squirt, edge, trim bushes, & mulch. I recently did a mulch job for them - they paid me IN ADVANCE, IN FULL! I emailed them the estimate & I had a check within a week.

My other best one is a local office of a real estate chain. We'll do WHATEVER they want us to do. That is in addition to mowing, fert, squirt, planting color & bush trimming. Last year I hauled a bunch of trash out of their attic and took it to the dump. This year I cleaned their gutters. (I wouldn't do that for ANYONE else.) We are also ON CALL to clear a big rain water drain in front of their building. Whenever it rains hard, debris will clog the drain & cause their parking lot to flood. Manager used to call when she wanted it done, now we just show up when WE THINK it needs it, day or night, winter, spring, summer & fall. OF COURSE, we are WELL COMPENSATED for ALL of the jobs we do for them. NEVER had them complain & always pay when billed!

Mike